The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2021 8:52 am  #1

Live Beatle Concert In Which You Can Actually Hear Them Play

This has been up a while - 2018. But I only found it today. It's a 25 minute video of The Beatles playing live in Australia in 1964. What's unique about it is that unlike other similar concert footage from back then, you can actually hear them playing and singing, even as the crowd of teens goes wild. And the camera work is very professional. 

Likely the closest we'll ever get to hearing them in concert at the peak of their youthful innocence. And yes, as they always claimed, they were a tremendous band to hear live.

Some remarkable moments forever frozen in time.  

August 11, 2021 6:54 am  #2

Re: Live Beatle Concert In Which You Can Actually Hear Them Play

aflem wrote:

This has been up a while - 2018. But I only found it today. It's a 25 minute video of The Beatles playing live in Australia in 1964. What's unique about it is that unlike other similar concert footage from back then, you can actually hear them playing and singing, even as the crowd of teens goes wild. And the camera work is very professional. 

Likely the closest we'll ever get to hearing them in concert at the peak of their youthful innocence. And yes, as they always claimed, they were a tremendous band to hear live.

Some remarkable moments forever frozen in time.  

so i guess you've never seen the shea stadium documentary, then?

August 11, 2021 7:35 am  #3

Yes, I'm very familiar with the New York concert, but the complaints about the Shea Stadium appearance is that there was so much noise from screaming fans, you couldn't really hear them clearly. This one seems to have been mic-ed properly and the clarity and photography is much better. 

That, to me, is what made it stand-out. Plus, it happened at a time when they still seemed to be happy performing live. By the Shea Stadium concert, they were getting tired of no one being able to hear them and all the craziness that went with it, and were pretty close to ending live touring for good. 

August 11, 2021 10:58 pm  #4

aflem wrote:

Yes, I'm very familiar with the New York concert, but the complaints about the Shea Stadium appearance is that there was so much noise from screaming fans, you couldn't really hear them clearly. This one seems to have been mic-ed properly and the clarity and photography is much better. 

That, to me, is what made it stand-out. Plus, it happened at a time when they still seemed to be happy performing live. By the Shea Stadium concert, they were getting tired of no one being able to hear them and all the craziness that went with it, and were pretty close to ending live touring for good. 

hmm// despitre the crowd noise, i thought the sound in the shea film was pretty clesn snd quite audible. even a straight board tape of the beatles, with no audience mix, would have had plenty of croowd noise.

August 12, 2021 7:26 am  #5

According to the info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_at_Shea_Stadium:
The audio for the songs that remained went through a heavy post-production process as well. Some songs were treated with overdubs, or even re-recorded entirely, by the Beatles at London's CTS Studios on 5 January 1966, to cover audio problems throughout the concert recording. In addition, the audio for "Twist and Shout" comes from a show at the Hollywood Bowl later on the same tour, and the audio for "Act Naturally" was simply replaced by the studio version of the song (released on the Help! LP in Britain and on the B-side of "Yesterday" in the US), speeded up slightly and poorly edited to sync up to the film.
In addition:
Ringo Starr described the concert in The Beatles Anthology: "What I remember most about the concert was that we were so far away from the audience. ... And screaming had become the thing to do. ... Everybody screamed. If you look at the footage, you can see how we reacted to the place. It was very big and very strange."​

August 15, 2021 7:47 pm  #6

Lorne wrote:

According to the info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_at_Shea_Stadium:
The audio for the songs that remained went through a heavy post-production process as well. Some songs were treated with overdubs, or even re-recorded entirely, by the Beatles at London's CTS Studios on 5 January 1966, to cover audio problems throughout the concert recording. In addition, the audio for "Twist and Shout" comes from a show at the Hollywood Bowl later on the same tour, and the audio for "Act Naturally" was simply replaced by the studio version of the song (released on the Help! LP in Britain and on the B-side of "Yesterday" in the US), speeded up slightly and poorly edited to sync up to the film.
In addition:
Ringo Starr described the concert in The Beatles Anthology: "What I remember most about the concert was that we were so far away from the audience. ... And screaming had become the thing to do. ... Everybody screamed. If you look at the footage, you can see how we reacted to the place. It was very big and very strange."​

well now, all that editing explains wh i thought shea ended up sounding good. obviously it was a con-job, though. i'm surprised i didn't catch the studio overdub. thanks, lorne.

Board footera