The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2021 12:03 pm  #1

Popcorn

Popcorn is a tune I never thought could be reworked but Canada's first lady of guitar, Liona Boyd, has actually served up a pretty neat retro remix of the song. Wonder if Justin Trudeau is a fan of hers.

August 21, 2021 4:25 am  #2

Re: Popcorn

Roman wrote:

Popcorn is a tune I never thought could be reworked but Canada's first lady of guitar, Liona Boyd, has actually served up a pretty neat retro remix of the song. Wonder if Justin Trudeau is a fan of hers.

can't get the tube link, but i assume you mean the james brown song. what's j.t. got to do with it? being south of the border, i tend to miss these sort of things, unless music express covers them.

August 21, 2021 9:29 am  #3

The Popcorn song that Boyd has redone is the one that was a hit for Hot Butter in 1972. And I had kind of forgotten about her romantic relationship with Justin's father Pierre, so I looked up her bio on Wikipedia to see what it might have about this. It states that in her1988 autobiography, she revealed that the relationship lasted for eight years. 

August 22, 2021 1:38 pm  #4

Roman’s reference to Liona Boyd’s romantic relationship with current Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s father, former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, brings to mind a current situation with former California governor Jerry Brown.

As we all know, Jerry Brown had a long-term romantic relationship with Linda Ronstadt starting in the early Seventies.  Jerry Brown married Anne Gust in 2005.

Jerry Brown was very recently asked who his favorite singer was and he answered Linda Ronstadt (who else could he have said?).  I am just wondering how that answer went over with Jerry Brown’s wife.

August 22, 2021 7:06 pm  #5

The Popcorn Song website (link below) documents that it has been recorded by at least 677 artists in at least 884 versions since Gershon Kingsley's original in 1969 (through 2020).
There are 28 versions with lyrics in 13 languages.
More versions are still popping and Liona's is very good. Thanks for posting Roman. 

https://www.popcorn-song.com/index.php

August 24, 2021 8:37 am  #6

Jim Elder wrote:

Roman’s reference to Liona Boyd’s romantic relationship with current Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s father, former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, brings to mind a current situation with former California governor Jerry Brown.

As we all know, Jerry Brown had a long-term romantic relationship with Linda Ronstadt starting in the early Seventies.  Jerry Brown married Anne Gust in 2005.

Jerry Brown was very recently asked who his favorite singer was and he answered Linda Ronstadt (who else could he have said?).  I am just wondering how that answer went over with Jerry Brown’s wife.

i welcome correction, but i believe jerry brown was not married when, quite in public as i recall, he  was dating ronstadt. no idea what p.t.'s status was however for that natter, nor do i care..

Last edited by gopher (August 24, 2021 8:56 am)

August 24, 2021 1:22 pm  #7

gopher wrote:

i welcome correction, but i believe jerry brown was not married when, quite in public as i recall, he  was dating ronstadt. no idea what p.t.'s status was however for that natter, nor do i care..

Whoever has contributed to Trudeau's bio on Wikipedia hasn't cared about this either, because it doesn't even mention Boyd -- and even though the romance is mentioned on her page, the reference to it there is quite brief. What I actually remember better and found more interesting was that he dated Barbra Streisand in 1969-70. The reason I found this interesting was the fact that this was just after he became Prime Minister, and so I didn't figure that there was any possibility of him moving to the US; but given that I knew back then that many Canadian artists moved to the US to further their careers, I knew it would be pretty significant for Streisand to come here even if she were to maintain another residence in the US. I couldn't think of any American artist of comparable status moving here back then ... I was certainly aware of Ronnie Hawkins having come here from Arkansas, but he hadn't had that much success in the US when he decided to do so.

August 25, 2021 12:54 pm  #8

gopher wrote:

Jim Elder wrote:

Pierre was married at the time but it certainly wasn't the only time he stepped out on Mrs. T., as there are well documented affairs with Barbra Streisand and Margot Kidder as well. Of course Mrs. T. was no choir girl either as she went to the Stones El Mo show in '77 and allegedly had a fling with one or more of the boys afterwards. My money would be on Bill Wyman, who was apparently a notorious skirt chaser.

August 25, 2021 5:15 pm  #9

Roman wrote:

gopher wrote:

Jim Elder wrote:

Pierre was married at the time but it certainly wasn't the only time he stepped out on Mrs. T., as there are well documented affairs with Barbra Streisand and Margot Kidder as well. Of course Mrs. T. was no choir girl either as she went to the Stones El Mo show in '77 and allegedly had a fling with one or more of the boys afterwards. My money would be on Bill Wyman, who was apparently a notorious skirt chaser.

I can't find anything to back this up, but I remember hearing several years ago, Led Zeppelin's "Going To California" was about Margaret Trudeau.

August 25, 2021 5:48 pm  #10

It's me Karen wrote:

I can't find anything to back this up, but I remember hearing several years ago, Led Zeppelin's "Going To California" was about Margaret Trudeau.

Margaret Trudeau wasn't well-known before she married the PM on March 4, 1971, as their romance had been kept a secret. Since Going To California was recorded a bit before that, I'd be surprised if it would have related to Margaret. However, I did find references to it being inspired by another Canadian, Joni Mitchell, and her song California. 

August 25, 2021 10:57 pm  #11

Roman wrote:

gopher wrote:

Jim Elder wrote:

i'm going to say not wyman, as he likes the girls on a younger side than she would have been,  then.

October 21, 2021 5:34 pm  #12

I thought of this thread when I ran across this on YouTube

Board footera