The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2019 8:25 am  #1

Songs with Vibes

I was listening to my 1996 mix tape in my car yesterday and I came across A Girl Like You by Edwin Collins. I couldn't help but notice the wonderful use of vibes in the song and it occurred to me that I couldn't recall any other songs with vibes, other than maybe Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye). Can you think of any others?

Hi Lorne. Could you please fix my user name. I had no trouble logging in aside from my usual 'user error' issues. 

January 5, 2019 9:52 am  #2

Re: Songs with Vibes

"Spanish Harlem" and "Quiet Village" immediately come to mind.  I'm sure there must be others.

January 5, 2019 11:01 am  #3

I'm not sure if you mean a song like this, but how about "You Turn Me On" by Ian Whitcomb?

January 5, 2019 1:00 pm  #4

I haven't figured out how to reply to someone's post but, yeah, 'You Turn Me On' sounds like it has vibes. I'd actually never heard it so I listened to it on YouTube...sounds a bit like Big Boss Man. 

January 5, 2019 1:11 pm  #5

Roman wrote:

I haven't figured out how to reply to someone's post but, yeah, 'You Turn Me On' sounds like it has vibes. I'd actually never heard it so I listened to it on YouTube...sounds a bit like Big Boss Man. 

There are two ways of posting replies. The more obvious one is the Quick post area at the bottom of the screen. However, I prefer to click on the Post reply button on the right side of the screen, because this allows me to preview my messages before posting them. Also, in this case I clicked on the Quote hyperlink so that your words would appear with my reply. 

January 5, 2019 2:07 pm  #6

Roman wrote:

I was listening to my 1996 mix tape in my car yesterday and I came across A Girl Like You by Edwin Collins. I couldn't help but notice the wonderful use of vibes in the song and it occurred to me that I couldn't recall any other songs with vibes, other than maybe Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye). Can you think of any others?

Hi Lorne. Could you please fix my user name. I had no trouble logging in aside from my usual 'user error' issues. 

"Under My Thumb" - The Rolling Stones

"Moonlight, Feels Right" - Starbuck

January 6, 2019 11:32 am  #7

"All Summer Long"-The Beach Boys

reedo

January 6, 2019 5:19 pm  #8

Lorne wrote:

Roman wrote:

There are two ways of posting replies. The more obvious one is the Quick post area at the bottom of the screen. However, I prefer to click on the Post reply button on the right side of the screen, because this allows me to preview my messages before posting them. Also, in this case I clicked on the Quote hyperlink so that your words would appear with my reply. 

This is a test.

January 6, 2019 10:21 pm  #9

Roman wrote:

I haven't figured out how to reply to someone's post

At least on the mobile view, there is a quote function that allows you to reply, while quoting the previous post you're replying to.

Tom Diehl

January 6, 2019 10:28 pm  #10

I'm not sure whether this is a vibraphone or a marimba, but I hear it in the intro to I Hear A Symphony by the Supremes

Tom Diehl

January 10, 2019 11:38 am  #11

Hmmm, getting into Motown there.  I was just listening to Once Upon a Time by Mary Wells and Marvin Gaye the other day, some vibes in there.  And really nice harmony, too.

Board footera