The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2019 6:45 pm  #1

One year anniversary

Today is the one year anniversary of this board. When Ron made the decision last year that it was time to shut down the oldiesmusic.com site, I felt that this was very understandable -- and while I was sorry to see the old board come to an end, I was also prepared to move on. However, I'm very glad that many of you expressed a desire to have a new board, where we could continue to discuss oldies music and keep in touch with one another. And although I have never administered anything like this before, you've made it very easy and enjoyable to do so. So thanks very much to all of you, and here's to many more good discussions here in the year to come.

December 29, 2019 7:06 pm  #2

Re: One year anniversary

I never saw the old board and I wish this one had even more members. Hopefully more will come with time.

That said, thanks for your hard work on this Lorne. Being an admin. can sometimes make you feel like an "oldie" before your time!

December 29, 2019 7:07 pm  #3

Thank you Lorne for doing this.  I am quiet about it, but I check in here every single day and enjoy it very much,

December 29, 2019 7:22 pm  #4

aflem wrote:

I never saw the old board and I wish this one had even more members. Hopefully more will come with time.
That said, thanks for your hard work on this Lorne. Being an admin. can sometimes make you feel like an "oldie" before your time! 

You're welcome, aflem, and it's been good to see a few newcomers like yourself joining us this year. In case it's of interest, here's what the old board looked like at the end of its "chart run". 
https://tinyurl.com/yx44l5bx

December 30, 2019 3:54 am  #5

The year has just flown. Thank you for your efforts in keeping things going Lorne.   All the best for you and 
all participants in the New Year.

December 30, 2019 9:45 am  #6

Thanks Lorne.  What a short year.  When Ron announced his closing of the board, I worried this community would be dissolved.  Thanks for taking this on.  I wish many more of the previous members would join or post more.  I love this group, but as they say,  the more the merrier...you know.

An lol to Bruce's comment about he, myself and Lorne posting frequently on that board.  Good gravy, could we send posts on tangents!  

December 30, 2019 10:16 am  #7

We had about 55 people come over from the old board, with most of those signing up within the first 10 days. I have wondered about whether some other people from there might not have seen our messages about the new board before the old one was shut down, but I chose a name for this board that I hoped would lead to people finding it if they searched for it -- whether they were people from the old board, or people just searching for a forum of this nature. And by the way, I deliberately made the name slightly different (by removing the word "Bulletin") out of respect for the old board ... I didn't feel right about using that name, but I also wanted anyone finding this site to know that it was intended to be a new forum for users of the old board. So yes, I wish that there would have been even more people joining us from there, but at the same time I think we've done very well with the people who did. It's certainly proven to be very worthwhile.  

December 30, 2019 1:13 pm  #8

Lorne wrote:

Today is the one year anniversary of this board. When Ron made the decision last year that it was time to shut down the oldiesmusic.com site, I felt that this was very understandable -- and while I was sorry to see the old board come to an end, I was also prepared to move on. However, I'm very glad that many of you expressed a desire to have a new board, where we could continue to discuss oldies music and keep in touch with one another. And although I have never administered anything like this before, you've made it very easy and enjoyable to do so. So thanks very much to all of you, and here's to many more good discussions here in the year to come.

Thanks Lorne, and may the Board continue to prosper as it enters the roaring twenties. Speaking of roaring twenties, how about a musical trivia question? He was one of the biggest movie stars of the original roaring twenties, and he was also a composer, and his final song became a #1 hit in the UK in 1967, the first in six years for the person who sang it. Can you name the composer?

Last edited by Roman (December 30, 2019 1:17 pm)

December 30, 2019 2:01 pm  #9

Roman wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Thanks Lorne, and may the Board continue to prosper as it enters the roaring twenties. Speaking of roaring twenties, how about a musical trivia question? He was one of the biggest movie stars of the original roaring twenties, and he was also a composer, and his final song became a #1 hit in the UK in 1967, the first in six years for the person who sang it. Can you name the composer?

Going out on a limb here...Rudy Valley?  Not sure how to spell the last name.

December 30, 2019 2:03 pm  #10

Thank you, Lorne!!

December 30, 2019 2:18 pm  #11

It's me Karen wrote:

It's Vallée, but I had to look it up myself, and I hadn't realized that it was spelled with an acute accent over the first e. But although I was initially stumped by Roman's question, after I saw your answer I thought of Charlie Chaplin. I was aware that he had composed some music, but had totally forgotten about this. I had to look up what this particular song was, however ... and somewhat ironically, I found that it was This Is My Song, which of course was a 1967 hit for Petula Clark. Good question.

December 31, 2019 12:46 am  #12

Lorne, I'm here every day and deeply appreciate your work and time keeping the 'board' alive.  Time is rapidly going by (it's about 20 years ago that the "Do-Wop" shows were on PBS!) but the music still keeps me going and it's fun to hear some old favorites showing up on TV commercials.  Keep up the good work and I'll chip in now and then.

December 31, 2019 4:59 am  #13

a year later, i'm still trying to figure out how to navigate aspects of the board (like how to reply to specific posts in a thread, but then, i ain't too bright) but i can't tell you how grateful i am to have the opportunity to do so. in regard to roman's question, i'd have guessed louis armstrong. close, but no fries curds and gravy for me.

December 31, 2019 6:47 am  #14

gopher wrote:

a year later, i'm still trying to figure out how to navigate aspects of the board (like how to reply to specific posts in a thread, but then, i ain't too bright) but i can't tell you how grateful i am to have the opportunity to do so. in regard to roman's question, i'd have guessed louis armstrong. close, but no fries curds and gravy for me.

Thanks, goph. The setup of this board is similar to that of my local radio/tv forum, and it has its advantages, but I understand that it's quite different from the old board. So I appreciate the willingness of you and everyone else here to adapt to this new format. And I'm happy to help with that to the extent that I can. With regards to replying to a post, if you look at the lower right corner of a post you should see a "Quote" link ... if you click on that, as I just did with your post, the post in question will be quoted and you can reply under it. But you're doing very well with the way that you're posting already. Thanks again. 

December 31, 2019 7:00 am  #15

Jim Southern wrote:

Lorne, I'm here every day and deeply appreciate your work and time keeping the 'board' alive.  Time is rapidly going by (it's about 20 years ago that the "Do-Wop" shows were on PBS!) but the music still keeps me going and it's fun to hear some old favorites showing up on TV commercials.  Keep up the good work and I'll chip in now and then. 

Thanks, Jim. It was just over 20 years ago that I started visiting the old board, and it's very ironic that originally I didn't think that I could contribute much .... I felt that there were so many much more knowledgeable people there already. And so I would never have thought back then that eventually I'd be the one to set up a new board to succeed the old one, but it's an honour to be helping to keep the flame alive ... as is everyone else who is part of this board. Thanks again.

December 31, 2019 7:41 am  #16

Thanks for continuing the board Lorne! I'm here most everyday to see what's new. Happy New Year to all you old rockers! RV

December 31, 2019 8:35 am  #17

Thanks, Robert. I've always appreciated your postings, and in particular the Memphis info and perspective that you brought to the old board and now to this one.  

December 31, 2019 9:17 am  #18

Lorne wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

It's Vallée, but I had to look it up myself, and I hadn't realized that it was spelled with an acute accent over the first e. But although I was initially stumped by Roman's question, after I saw your answer I thought of Charlie Chaplin. I was aware that he had composed some music, but had totally forgotten about this. I had to look up what this particular song was, however ... and somewhat ironically, I found that it was This Is My Song, which of course was a 1967 hit for Petula Clark. Good question.

Got it. Smile. And a Happy New Year to everyone on the Board.

December 31, 2019 9:27 am  #19

Thanks ... and yes, Smile was another great song that Chaplin wrote. Happy New Year to you as well. 

December 31, 2019 8:01 pm  #20

Lorne:  I had a panic attack when Ron announced the retirement of oldiesmusic.com - just kidding.  I have been on here since about 2001-2002 and visiting as many as 2 to 3 times per day just to keep up with everyone's comments/messages.  Lorne, you've done a great job of making the transition from oldiesmusic.com to this board, oldies.boardhost.com, making it appear seamless, transparent.  It took a little getting used to but this board appears to have a few more bells and whistles as well as a few more interesting members as well as a few of the former board members - an ideal mix of great resources.  Once again, I feel blessed to have this vast array of resources, since I'm retired from a natural resource management position (in my last life) and have been volunteering as a DJ since I retired about 7 years ago - TO THE DATE.  Getting to share music and music info with the members of the community of Juneau, Alaska, the State Capital.  And with the station's livestream, I have regular listeners from Guam, Tokyo, and various listeners from all over the US.  Thanks again, Lorne.  A virtual wealth of corporate knowledge on this site.

Last edited by Little Rich (December 31, 2019 8:03 pm)

Board footera