The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2020 2:41 pm  #1

Songs That Bring A Tear

I'm not a particularly emotional guy when it comes to music, but I must admit there are two or three songs guaranteed to stir something within me every single time I hear them... One is a country song that doesn't fit within the "Oldies Music" genre nor generation (Blake Shelton's "Austin"), but the other two are definitely among my top tear-jerkers.

The first was and is my very favorite Phil Spector wall-of-sound production. Checkmates Ltd with Bobby Stevens taking the lead vocals on "Love Is All I Have To Give". To me, the song is perfect. I couldn't possibly suggest improvement. And I continually wonder why it never had any significant chart impact.

The second, for very personal reasons, is "Daisy A Day" by Judd Strunk. If you listen to the lyrics, you'll know why it never fails to bring a tear to my eyes. 

Do you have a song or two or three that brings on a strong melancholy impact whenever you hear it?

March 7, 2020 7:20 pm  #2

Re: Songs That Bring A Tear

There's only one for me and it's so associated with tragedy, I find it almost impossible to listen to it anymore. 

It's "Everything I Own" by Bread, a song David Gates wrote when his father passed away. I've played that tune when I lost my dog, my dad and more recently, my mom.

Knowing its origins and the times I've heard it, it's one of those songs that sets off a flood of tears. Which is too bad, because it's always been one of my favorites.

March 8, 2020 12:31 am  #3

You are so right about Daisy a Day.  Glad somebody mentioned this, because it is a TRUE love song.  .

March 8, 2020 3:21 am  #4

Honey - Bobby Goldsboro

March 8, 2020 8:48 am  #5

He Stopped Loving Her Today -  George Jones

March 8, 2020 1:19 pm  #6

Red Sovine did a bunch of them as spoken word

Teddy Bear
Giddy up go
Little Rosa
Roses For Mama
Billy’s Christmas Wish
and more

March 8, 2020 3:49 pm  #7

not an "oldie" though 1982 is 38 years ago, "Never gonna say goodbye" by Billy Preston, from the movie (O'haras Wife), makes my wife cry every time I play it. And (If you remember me) by Chris Thompson from the album of the movie (The Champ) N0. 17 on the billboard charts the last week of Nov 1979, always gets to me

Last edited by Beverly Cardinals (March 19, 2020 11:21 am)

March 8, 2020 5:54 pm  #8

Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks

March 8, 2020 7:14 pm  #9

In My Life.... Beatles
Carolina Moon.. only because my mom used to sing it around the house

March 8, 2020 7:16 pm  #10

Lettermen  How Is Julie?

March 14, 2020 8:10 pm  #11

Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin

March 17, 2020 12:25 am  #12

Don't Give Up On Us, David Soul

March 17, 2020 8:18 am  #13

It's me Karen wrote:

agree!

March 17, 2020 11:02 pm  #14

It's me Karen wrote:

And Karen would add his  Tangled Up Puppet. That song about a daughter growing up and away is a tear bringer and makes it worse going through exactly that right now. 

Last edited by Scotty (March 17, 2020 11:02 pm)

March 18, 2020 12:25 pm  #15

Most of the slow love songs done by Karen Carpenter work their magic on me.  I will also include "You'll Never Walk Alone" by most artists, but a special nod to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir version.

March 20, 2020 12:28 pm  #16

Just thought of another sure-fire tear gusher...  "Country Bumpkin" by Cal Smith.  I know it's hokey, but it brings a big lump in my throat every time.

March 20, 2020 2:38 pm  #17

The Three Bells - The Browns

March 21, 2020 6:13 am  #18

"death don't have no mercy" for the purpose of this board i'll cite hot tuna / "$1,000 wedding" gram parsons / "last kiss" wayne cochran

Board footera