The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2020 10:14 am  #1

Bill Withers Gone At 81

His "Lean On Me" has become something of an inspirational song during these difficult times, and it's one of the many iconic tunes Bill Withers leaves behind. His death was due to heart issues and not the coronavirus. 

I wasn't aware that his first hit, "Ain't No Sunshine," was actually released as the B-side of the 45 but was turned over by DJs who rightly thought it was a hit. He won a Grammy for the record, along with two other songs. 

He was 81.

‘Lean on Me,’ ‘Ain’t No Sunshine’ singer Bill Withers dies at 81 

April 3, 2020 8:22 pm  #2

Re: Bill Withers Gone At 81

That hits hard.   He once said "  For a boy from Slab Fork, Virginia , I guess I' didn't do too  bad  "    You did  more than not bad ,  you left us some great music   and Lean On Me is such an inspirational song for times we are in.  I remember a story about a journalist going into a shop maybe 2 years ago.  All ages  shopping there, Lean On Me came on the radio and he said everyone in there, started to smile and hum along, younger and older.  What a great legacy.

April 4, 2020 4:14 pm  #3

Re: Bill Withers Gone At 81

b

Scotty wrote:

That hits hard.   He once said "  For a boy from Slab Fork, Virginia , I guess I' didn't do too  bad  "    You did  more than not bad ,  you left us some great music   and Lean On Me is such an inspirational song for times we are in.  I remember a story about a journalist going into a shop maybe 2 years ago.  All ages  shopping there, Lean On Me came on the radio and he said everyone in there, started to smile and hum along, younger and older.  What a great legacy.

bill withers was born in slab fork, west virginia, and raised in beckley, west virginia. he was inducted into the west virginia music hall of fame in 2007.

i pretty much quit paying attention to him after he punched out denise nicholas, though in later years i began to re-appriciate him to a great degree.

Board footera