The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2020 3:19 am  #1

Another favorite artist passes!

It is reported on other sites that Harold Reid, the bass singer for the Statler Brothers , passed away on Friday, 4/24/20 from Kidney Failure.  The Statlers "Flowers On The Wall" reach #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart in January, 1966.  On the country charts they were a force, logging 59 C&W Top 40 hits from 1965 - 1989.  They were the CMA vocal group winners 9 times and they had their own TNN television variety show.  Harold was the comic of the group on stage.  I was backstage with the guys 4 times when they toured with Johnny Cash and enjoyed visiting with them. Thank you Harold Reid for the music and memories. R.I.P.

April 27, 2020 5:27 am  #2

Re: Another favorite artist passes!

"Class of '57" which hasn't been mentioned in various tributes I've come across has been a staple at vintage automotive events (cruise nights) up in these parts, for decades

April 27, 2020 6:29 pm  #3

I just wrote something, and somehow it got totally erased.  Will try again.  This is sad, the Statlers were very special.  Let us not forget Flowers On the Wall made a big comeback because of Pulp Fiction.  A whole generation who had never heard them got that chance.  In my life, I surely don't know anyone who was a DJ or a musician, who couldn't quote Lester Road Hog Moran and the Cadillac Cowboys.  If you were of a certain generation, there was nothing funnier than this.  And Harold Reid WAS the Old Road Hog....he was one of a kind, and one of the most naturally funny human beings ever.  I will for sure miss him
When I went to post a song about them, I wanted to post I'll Go to My Grave Loving You because it had the most gorgeous harmonies.  But it didn't seem appropriate. But I still think it's their best song. 

April 27, 2020 6:40 pm  #4

Yes, Class of 57, which we should all relate to :
When I thought I'll Go to My Grave Loving You was inappropriate, Class of 57 was my second choice.  It says so much about all of us.  And we have to love them just for coming up something that truthful.

April 28, 2020 6:06 pm  #5

He was my favorite of the bunch

I wish I could remember the show.  They had The Statler Brothers as guests and the host started talking about their hit song “Elvira” to see their reaction.  Might have been Ralph Emery.

One of my favorite is Do You Remember These as well as How To Be A Country Star, Whatever Happened To Randolph Scott, Do You Know You Are My Sunshine, and The Official Historian On Shirly Jean Berrell.

They are also the reason I quit loaning CDs at the office.  I loaned out The Best Of The Statler Bros Rides Again, a few weeks after it came back, I found the disc was missing from the jewel box and I couldn’t remember who I’d loaned it to.

Board footera