The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2020 5:46 am  #1

van morrison: crazy, greedy, or both? you decide

...regardless, he doesn't apparently much care what happens to you, as long as he gets paid first, if you're again allowed to pack yourself into one of his often sold out shows before a working vaccine arrives. at least, that's how it seemingly reads to me, here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/entertainment/van-morrison-anti-lockdown-songs-trnd/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/25/van-morrison-blasts-covid-gig-limits-pseudoscience

Last edited by gopher (September 19, 2020 6:07 am)

September 19, 2020 7:38 am  #2

Re: van morrison: crazy, greedy, or both? you decide

There's always going to be nonbelievers.  I'm a mask wearer and believe in the reason why I do.   I think he's being selfish.  Just play the game for the duration, Van.  Listen to the experts.  We non musicians would never tell you how to write, play and sing a song, don't tell them how to run this virus out.

We're all in this together...yeah.  Right.

Last edited by It's me Karen (September 19, 2020 7:38 am)

September 19, 2020 8:27 am  #3

I loved the protest songs of the 60s. They were about social justice. Now Van writing "pretending it's for our safety when it's really to enslave." sound like the rantings of a bitter old man. Comparing trying to save lives to enslavement is utter foolishness and an insult to people who really were enslaved.

September 19, 2020 10:33 am  #4

I agree with both of you. It's ironic that I just posted about my friends Sue and Dwight a couple of days ago ... in addition to not being able to busk in the subway since our covid restrictions began in March, it's also meant that they haven't been doing any shows at local venues. Not only have they not complained about any of this, but they've made it clear that they aren't looking to play in the subway or at other venues as long as covid is an issue -- restrictions or no restrictions -- even though this is having a significant effect on their income. In contrast, I'm sure that Morrison is doing fine financially, and should be more concerned about public health than this supposed restriction on his freedom. 

September 19, 2020 6:09 pm  #5

Good on your friends, Lorne. My wife is in a similar situation. She's also a musician and lost a lot of weddings this year. But now people are asking her to play and she's turning everything down. She doesn't want to play during COVID.

Last edited by alangee (September 19, 2020 8:25 pm)

November 29, 2020 4:17 pm  #6

November 8, 2021 8:24 am  #7

Board footera