The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2021 11:43 am  #1

April 29, 2021 10:11 am  #2

Re: pretty things preserved (no botox needed)

I remember watching a black and white film clip on the Pretty Things about 1965

There was a shot of someone ironing lead vocalist Phil May's rather lengthy hair.

That is not a typo &  you did not misread my comment.

Someone was ironing Phil May's hair on an ironing board.

You can just imagine how that went over in '60's

April 29, 2021 2:03 pm  #3

unclefester wrote:

Someone was ironing Phil May's hair on an ironing board.    You can just imagine how that went over in '60's

How did it go over?    (nothing about '65 surprised me then or now)

G. 

April 29, 2021 7:02 pm  #4

unclefester wrote:

Someone was ironing Phil May's hair on an ironing board.

I don’t remember the year (and we’re a bit behind here in the Midwest) but that became pretty common.

May 6, 2021 12:33 am  #5

Bruce NZ wrote:

Just a few of the band's naughty activities while touring NZ, eagerly reported by a weekly scandal newspaper: Viv Prince bought a crayfish (lobster) at the start of the tour and dragged it around on a string for the rest of the tour (it smelled pretty bad); when one of the band twisted his ankle the hospital had to soak off his sock as he hadn't changed it for some time: Viv would get drunk and crawl around the stage while the band played on: he also would try and set fire to the stage curtains; he was not permitted to board a plane taking them back to the UK and for several decades the band was banned from NZ as being "undesirable".

And yet they continued to make great music. Their CD "Rage Before Beauty" is one of the best in my vast collection.

sorry to report that the b-52's "rock lobster" was not, unfortunately, about the viv prince incenent, though it probably should have been... thanks for the lp suggestion, i've got a copy on the way.

Last edited by gopher (May 6, 2021 12:35 am)

Board footera