The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2021 7:57 am  #1

The 2021 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees Are...

Foo Fighters, Jay-Z, Tina Turner, Carole King, The Go-Go’s, Billy Preston and Todd Rundgren, among others.

Rock Hall of Fame Inductees

May 12, 2021 4:01 pm  #2

Re: The 2021 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees Are...

I am not familiar with Charlie Patton which I'm embarrassed to admit.  But after I listened to some of his music, I'm sold.  He was a Delta blues guitarist who revolutionized guitar music, preceding and mentoring other great guitarists including the late great Robert Johnson, still another Delta blues guitarist, who strongly influenced (accidentally) Eric Clapton, who has recorded much of Johnson's music.  Again, I have to say I am still learning about some great, great musicians and their work.

Although their names are not new to the R&RHOF, I'm grateful that Tina and Carole are finally recognized, individually as major contributors to rock music.  Though I like Rundgren's music, he doesn't jump out at me at the same level of as notoriety as Tina and Carole.  Billy Preston is another widely-known artist of note.  I'm going to stop there; not to take away from them, but I've just never been a strong fan of any of the others or even familiar with their work.

May 12, 2021 6:46 pm  #3

I think Rundgren makes the list not just for his music, but his producing skills. He was behind the controls for a ton of best-selling LPs, most especially Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell. So I think he may make the Hall for all those works, as well as his own. 

May 12, 2021 7:07 pm  #4

Yes, it's nice to see Carole and Tina get in, but I'm no longer a fan of the Hall. The list is massive of deserving artists who are not in the Hall let alone not even being nominated. Right now IMHO the R&RHOF has about as much relevance and credibility as a Rolling Stone top 100 list.

Last edited by alangee (May 12, 2021 7:08 pm)

May 12, 2021 8:28 pm  #5

I've believed the RRHOF to be a pathetic joke ever since they shunned Chubby Checker.

May 12, 2021 11:28 pm  #6

I'm a big Tommy James & the Shondells fan. They made party records like Hanky Panky and Mony Mony. they had that click guitar sound with I Think We're alone Now and Mirage. They made psychedelic sounding singles like Crimson And Clover and Sweet Cherry wine. Crystal blue Persuation fit right in with the Woodstock generation. TJ & co. were invited to play there but turned it down. I think the name of the band which was passe by the time they reached popularity, also cost them dearly. By the way, Chubby Checker was the first rock and roll artist, I ever heard of. He was one of the dominant early 60s faces of rock and roll and recorded classic party records.  

May 13, 2021 9:24 am  #7

aflem wrote:

I think Rundgren makes the list not just for his music, but his producing skills. He was behind the controls for a ton of best-selling LPs, most especially Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell. So I think he may make the Hall for all those works, as well as his own. 

his own body of work is not to be dismissed under any circumstance, he has been both influential and a hitmaker, if perhaps in a niche sort of way. but yeah, i agree his induction may be as much to do with those he's been associated with, perhaps.

May 13, 2021 9:43 am  #8

Out of curiosity, I looked up how they described him on the Hall's website ... it certainly sounds like it's a combination of both his own recordings and those he's produced for others, along with other aspects of his career.
https://www.rockhall.com/2021-nominee-todd-rundgren

May 15, 2021 9:30 pm  #9

Lorne wrote:

Out of curiosity, I looked up how they described him on the Hall's website ... it certainly sounds like it's a combination of both his own recordings and those he's produced for others, along with other aspects of his career.
https://www.rockhall.com/2021-nominee-todd-rundgren

i'm not sure what to make of it, but in a documentary concerning john lennon's death, it was noted that a rundgren cassette was found in mark chapman's hotel room. anybody know which album? "runt" might make some sense, maybe.

Last edited by gopher (May 15, 2021 9:34 pm)

Board footera