The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2021 1:56 pm  #1

Supremes

A simple question:

After Diana Ross left the Supremes,  do you think the survivors, and any add-ons would have had more success if they would have started afresh with a new name, without suggesting they were ex-Supremes?

September 19, 2021 4:43 pm  #2

Re: Supremes

Interesting question. I really liked several of their post-Ross songs and thought that they deserved to do better, but I suspect that the biggest problem was Berry Gordy not giving the group the same promotion or respect that he had before. However, if you'll allow me to go off on a bit of a tangent based on your question, I wonder if they might have done better if they could have been signed by another label that would have been willing to do more for them. But that likely wasn't possible if the Supremes name was owned by Motown and/or the group was contractually obligated to do additional albums for them. 

September 19, 2021 4:52 pm  #3

Lorne, I feel using the Supremes name was detrimental to the group.  It's like a TV show where one of the stars leaves.  They may replace that star, but it never seems the same after that.  I think Motown should have renamed them and retired the name Supremes.  I feel the group may have had a chance starting anew.

September 19, 2021 11:06 pm  #4

I think they did as good as they could have using the "Supremes" name.  They had 8 Top 40 chart hits.  I also think that the heyday of the "Motown Sound" was fading, Berry Gordy was going in new directions and the musical taste of the newer generations was going it's own way.

Board footera