The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2021 8:04 am  #1

Anyone Remember These?

What they didn't tell you was that they were all remakes and not the original artists. But if you were a kid and didn't know that, you thought you were getting a real bargain.

October 6, 2021 1:50 pm  #2

Re: Anyone Remember These?

YES!  I was one of those kids when I was nine in 1955 and did not know that and thought I was getting a bargain when I bought several TOPS label records.  As much as I love TOP FORTY songs, I have come to terms that the record industry is not very honest.

October 6, 2021 2:16 pm  #3

I'm having a hard time believing that the artists received ANY kind of commensurate royalties on the FBN (Fly By Night) operations, but as implied by previous comments, the record producers make gazillions.

Last edited by Little Rich (October 6, 2021 2:16 pm)

October 6, 2021 4:13 pm  #4

I did a search to see if I could find out more about these records, and found a couple of sites with some interesting info about them.
http://leescomicrack.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-sounds-of-charlton-record-riot.html
http://45-sleeves.co.uk/USA/hitparader/hitp-us.htm

October 7, 2021 11:54 am  #5

There is a Facebook group dedicated to these, called Brand "X" Records, if anyone is interested in digging deeper into knockoff recordings.

Tom Diehl

October 8, 2021 11:07 am  #6

lou reed began in tin pan alley, and recorded several such generic singles, i think for tops, or another similar brand. dunno if lou's were knockoffs as much as original but similar sounding tunes. he used assumed names, and i believe the records are collectible, at least among reed fans, though generic recordings flooded the market in the early9mid sixties, so there must still be plenty of copies out there.

Board footera