The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2022 5:20 am  #1

Meat Loaf has died

Headline news in NZ announcing the death of Meat Loaf. I loved Bat Out Of Hell and played it long and loud back in 77 (the year I got married!)

January 21, 2022 4:01 pm  #2

Re: Meat Loaf has died

January 25, 2022 12:03 am  #3

Re: Meat Loaf has died

Variety has printed a never before published interview with Meatloaf and there are a few amazing revelations in it I'd never heard before. The first is that he was invited to join both REO Speedwagon and Foreigner. Obviously, he turned them down. 

The second headline, if you will, is one I will now never be able to forget anytime I hear his first big hit, "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad." Turns out that recording was sped up so the LP didn't run too long.

"Because we were dealing with vinyl, and vinyl, with a rock record, the maximum was like 49 and a half minutes, and we were almost 52. So they sped that record up by almost a minute and a half, because if not, you couldn’t get any volume. You could make a symphonic record 53 or 54 and still get some volume out of it, because there’s no drums and no electric guitars. So that’s how much we sped that record up.

"When “Two Out of Three” would come on the radio when it was a hit, man, I sounded like Alvin from the Chipmunks! It would come on the radio and I would turn it off. Usually people want to hear themselves on the radio, but “Two” would come on and I’d go, “Not gonna listen to that."

A Few Last Words From Meat Loaf: In an Unpublished Interview, the Singer Reveals Secrets of ‘Bat Out of Hell’

Board footera