The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2019 3:33 pm  #31

Re: I Get Around!!

Beatles - "Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC" from "Back in the USSR" should qualify since the song apparently made #19 in the UK  and #11 in Ireland when it was released as a single in 1976 for the first time (according to Wikipedia).

September 2, 2019 3:54 pm  #32

Back In The USSR actually qualifies as a Hot 100 hit anyway -- but by, of all people, Chubby Checker. His version reached #82, and ironically it was also his last Hot 100 hit until 1982.  

September 2, 2019 6:08 pm  #33

Cincinnati, Ohio - Connie Smith
Bowling Green - Everly Brothers

September 3, 2019 2:07 pm  #34

Winchester Cathedral - The New Vaudeville Band

September 3, 2019 6:49 pm  #35

I thought of one more and as I listened to it I was surprised it hadn't been mentioned yet.  In fact, the song made the Hot 100 twice....
"Kissin' Time" - Bobby Rydell   (8/11/59)..his first chart single
 New Orleans
 Butte (I DJ'd there also)
 Baltimore
 Detroit
 Cleveland
 Kansas City
Waterloo
Then to my surprise, it was also the debut singles chart hit for KISS (5/25/74) and mentioned...
 Cinncinati
 Chicago
 Cleveland (Yet another of my DJ travels)
 San Diego
 Milwaukee
 Miami
 Dallas
 Seattle
 Detroit
Here's a really obvious one not mentioned yet...
 "Bristol Stomp" - Dovells

September 5, 2019 12:11 am  #36

"Taos, New Mexico"  by R. Dean Taylor  (Just heard it on CKWW this afternoon.)

September 5, 2019 8:47 am  #37

That one could go in the misheard song lyrics thread for me as well. Originally when I heard it, it sounded to me like he was singing "Towns New Mexico". And when I did find out the proper title, I wondered why he would choose such an obscure place for the title ... I guess he felt that it worked well for the lyrics, but I also felt that adding New Mexico was rather awkward. However, out of curiosity I just did a search and there is a jail there (for those unfamiliar with the song, Taylor sings "I'm serving time in Taos, New Mexico" in the chorus). 
https://www.taoscounty.org/211/Adult-Detention-Center

September 5, 2019 9:52 am  #38

Lorne wrote:

That one could go in the misheard song lyrics thread for me as well. Originally when I heard it, it sounded to me like he was singing "Towns New Mexico". And when I did find out the proper title, I wondered why he would choose such an obscure place for the title ... I guess he felt that it worked well for the lyrics, but I also felt that adding New Mexico was rather awkward. However, out of curiosity I just did a search and there is a jail there (for those unfamiliar with the song, Taylor sings "I'm serving time in Taos, New Mexico" in the chorus). 
https://www.taoscounty.org/211/Adult-Detention-Center

BUT, did you notice that, while the song was popular in 1972, that facility wasn't opened until 40-ish years later. Curiouser and curiouser... Something to make you go Hmmmmmm!

Last edited by Cloud9 (September 5, 2019 9:53 am)

September 5, 2019 10:15 am  #39

Good point ... I hadn't noticed that. I had actually gone to Wikipedia originally because I was wondering how prominent the place was, and I found that in 2010 it only had a population of 5,716. Then I did a search to see if there was a jail since the Wikipedia entry didn't mention one. But yes, all the way around it was a curious choice on the part of Taylor. Just occurred to me that maybe it was because he wanted something to rhyme with "Never felt so low", which led him to want a place with a short name that he could put ahead of New Mexico. But I still would have thought that he could have made a better choice ... it brings to mind the writers of Lucille choosing Toledo when they wanted to make a similar rhyme. 

September 5, 2019 2:45 pm  #40

Cloud9 wrote:

BUT, did you notice that, while the song was popular in 1972, that facility wasn't opened until 40-ish years later. Curiouser and curiouser... Something to make you go Hmmmmmm!

Speaking of predicting the future in music, did you ever notice how Kenny Rogers correctly deduced the 1989 coming of Nintendo videogames way back in 1978's "The Gambler?"

It's true. 

In one of the verses he says, "If you're going to play the Game Boy, you got to learn to play it right."

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

September 8, 2019 11:42 am  #41

This tread has kinda wound down so maybe you’ll forgive me for these.

Sink the BISMARCK - Johnny Horton
Hush, Hush, Sweet CHARLOTTE - Patti Page

September 8, 2019 12:01 pm  #42

I once worked with a jock who claimed that horrible record by Charlene called "I've Never Been To Me" really stood for "I've Never Been To Maine."

September 9, 2019 4:44 pm  #43

I just heard Bobby Goldsboro's great "I'm A Drifter," a song that rarely gets played (but should be more often!) In one of the lyrics he talks about looking for the dream he's been searching for "since I left my Oklahoma."

Board footera