The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2019 11:07 pm  #1

Rundgren talks about his career, old reviews and new Beatles show

Singer-composer Todd Rundgren came out of Philadelphia like a rocket in the late 1960s, quickly scoring radio hits with a cover of "I Saw the Light" and his own catchy tunes that included "Hello, It's Me" and "Can We Still Be Friends." Many musicians would have chosen to ride the gravy train provided by those songs and created more just like them.
https://onmilwaukee.com/music/articles/todd-rundgren-interview.html
["I Saw The Light" was actually written by Rundgren. I presume that the writer saw that it was one of his hits but wasn't actually familiar with it, and thought it was the Hank Williams song. But I thought that the rest of the article was worthwhile enough to post it here.]

October 2, 2019 7:13 am  #2

Re: Rundgren talks about his career, old reviews and new Beatles show

It's too bad the reporter behind this story never asked him about his first hit, "We Gotta Get You A Woman," a 1970 tune credited to Runt. But it was written and sung by Rundgren and was the world's first real peek at his talent.

It's a fairly dated tune now, due to some of the lyrics and some would yell about it today. (Talking about women at one point he sings, "They may be stupid, but they sure are fun.") But it's still a great tune and I would have loved to read more from Rundgren's point of view about that era. 

Board footera