The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2019 9:10 am  #1

Puzzling Oldies Music Swap In A New Network TV Show

It’s amazing what you can learn watching a TV show with the Closed Captioning turned on. Sometimes it’s the name of a song playing in the background or some original dialogue that was changed. But it can also yield a few surprises. Take the premiere of ABC’s new Stumptown.

In the pilot episode during the kidnapping scene about 15 minutes in, you hear “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” by Elton John and Kiki Dee playing as the action goes down. But the CC clearly indicates that the original tune that was supposed to punctuate the point was “Love Will Keep Us Together” by the Captain and Tennille.

I’d be curious to know why they made this change before the show went to air. Was it a rights issue? A change of mind of the producers? Something else? It certainly would have changed the mood of the scene in question and it makes you appreciate what a difference background music can make in a TV show.

October 2, 2019 7:20 am  #2

Re: Puzzling Oldies Music Swap In A New Network TV Show

I sent this post to TV Guide's chief television critic Matt Roush. To my stunned surprise, he actually published it and I now have my answer. He saw the pilot in a screener and confirms that, indeed, the Captain and Tennille song was in the original. He has no idea why it was changed but he agrees it may have been a rights issue. 

You can read his reply in the second letter here.

Last edited by aflem (October 2, 2019 7:20 am)

Board footera