The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2019 9:31 am  #1

Steve Miller Still A Tough Customer At 75

The guy behind hits like "Fly Like An Eagle" and "The Joker" doesn't suffer fools gladly, and when he bears a grudge - he keeps it!

Steve Miller cracked the code of 1970s radio. But he’s still raging against the music industry.

October 4, 2019 11:59 am  #2

Re: Steve Miller Still A Tough Customer At 75

Say what you will about the questionable practices and ethics of the recording industry,(and I know a few stories myself), in the end, the audience and fans determined what should go and what should stay.  As I listen to the 850 multi-artist CD's in my collection, I do hear plenty of songs that didn't suit my taste, but I know that I'm just one of millions and the songs did appeal to a large segment of the public.  As a DJ, I had to  play all the songs on the playlist, not just the ones I liked.  Besides, the politics of the recording industry are not that different than any other industry.  It's what happens when multitudes gather under the same roof to roll out their product.

October 5, 2019 7:37 am  #3

I was a huge Miller fan and when I had a chance to go to his record release party for Book Of Dreams I thought I'd bring him a little gift. I knew he was a big bass fisherman so I bought a flatfish lure, an acrylic paint set and a very small paintbrush, and I painted the mask from The Joker album on the lure. At the party Steve was pretty aloof, standing with his foot against a wall and not really talking to anybody. I approached him, gave him the lure and the end result was me getting a pic with him holding the lure and grinning from ear to ear.

October 5, 2019 12:31 pm  #4

Pic or it didn't happen.

October 5, 2019 10:48 pm  #5

Lorne wrote:

Pic or it didn't happen.

Is this Roman?  I'm so impressed.

October 5, 2019 10:52 pm  #6

It is, yes ... I figured that he might just be too modest to post the picture himself.  

October 6, 2019 7:53 am  #7

That's a keeper!

October 8, 2019 11:43 am  #8

Lorne wrote:

It is, yes ... I figured that he might just be too modest to post the picture himself.  

You're some detective. I must have uploaded the pic from the U of T newspaper it ran in, but I sure don't remember why or when.

Board footera