The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2019 4:39 pm  #1

How Quentin Tarantino found the 60s sound in Paul Revere & the Raiders

For a brief moment in his then-young rock career, Mark Lindsay lived in a gorgeous home at the top of Benedict Canyon. The singer-songwriter, co-founder of the group Paul Revere & the Raiders, moved there with his buddy, record producer Terry Melcher, in the late ’60s. He wrote some of his band’s best work there, including the single “Good Thing,” which he penned on a piano in the living room.
https://outline.com/dVMXW7

October 11, 2019 4:58 am  #2

Re: How Quentin Tarantino found the 60s sound in Paul Revere & the Raiders

Good article!  I learned some new things.

October 11, 2019 11:59 am  #3

While I haven't seen the movie yet, I really enjoyed the article.  I worked in L.A. radio in 1965 (a small FM and the all-night gig, but it was in L.A.) and was familiar with some of the references.  I especially took note of the "Pulp Fiction" mention.  I'd heard about the movie and read a few reviews so I did go to see it.  I was not aware of the Dick Dale "Miserlou" recording when it started and when that came blasting out of the theater speakers, it about knocked me into the aisle.  I was familiar with the song since I was one of the few DJ's outside of L.A. that had played it on the air (KTEO in San Angelo, TX in 1963.  My Dad had sent me the album) which made it even better.  I met and talked to Mark Lindsay about 12 years ago and was quite impressed.  I also took in a concert by The Raiders (all the early first group except Paul himself) back then and it was one of the best I ever attended.

October 11, 2019 2:02 pm  #4

Haven't seen the movie but may need to now! I always dug the Raiders and their sound. Anyone agree that Kicks maybe the first or one of the first anti drug songs? (not trying to hijack the thread)

October 11, 2019 2:45 pm  #5

To me the most amazing anti-drug song has to be "Mother's Little Helper." It's not so much the tune itself, which is great, but the fact that it came from The Rolling Stones, whose proclivity for drugs was well known. Just ask (or take a look at the face of) Keith Richards! 

October 11, 2019 4:58 pm  #6

Both came out in '66 but I always considered Mother's Little Helper to be more pro drugs. I knew a buddy's mom as a kid that fit the song to a "T". She was taking Valium in the 50s. 

Board footera