The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2019 9:48 pm  #1

Hologram Jams: Would You Go See This?

While I've always been a huge Roy Orbison fan (I'm less an aficionado of Buddy Holly, although I acknowledge his importance in rock history) I'm not sure I'd go see this - it's one of those hologram stage shows featuring the singers..

In this case, it's playing in a Montana city but for the purposes of this post, it's not the where but the what. While I admire the technology (which is outlined well in the article below)  I don't think I'd ever go see this if it came to my hometown. There's just something ghoulish and weird about watching a dead singer perform "live" on stage. All the usual little touches that make a real show work - like local references to some famous landmark or a comment about something in the news - would, of course, be missing. And I'd know the guy is long since dead. Plus there's always going to be something phony about it. 

It would be like watching a cartoon or a puppet on stage in my mind, despite the fact it looks semi-real. And I think it would ruin it for me. I'm curious if others here feel the same way. Would you go see a rock legend - like an Orbison or a Michael Jackson - if it was simply a carefully constructed beam of light?

Frankly, I think it would give me the creeps. 

Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison to play in hologram form 

October 10, 2019 2:04 am  #2

Re: Hologram Jams: Would You Go See This?

I might attend one show just for the novelty, and to say that I've experienced one, but very much doubt that it would become a habit.

October 13, 2019 10:55 pm  #3

being that i only have one working eye, the 3-d effect would probably be lost for me. i'd rather stay home and watch the films the show was cloned with on tv for free.

October 14, 2019 9:47 am  #4

Bruce NZ wrote:

I saw Roy Orbison live in 1978 which wasn't a hell of a lot different to a hologram in that he didnt really speak to  the audience and the songs were word and tune absolutely perfect. He also virtually never moved on stage. He just stood and sang and left. But I was there and enjoyed it. But going to a hologram  is a step too far for me. Might as well just watch a video.N.B.: Roy's singing was so perfect I almost wondered if he was lip syncing. But he wasn't. 

I saw him in '86 and he acted in a similar manner...no movement, no conversation.  I wasn't a huge fan going in but after his amazing vocal performance, especially on Running Scared, I certainly became one that night. The other thing I remember clearly is what a mismatch it was in terms of the opening act and the headliner, which was Alabama. In their defence, however, nobody could have really followed Roy. Finally, I had to kind of shake my head when I was checking out Roy's shows on setlist.com, and I saw a whole new set of shows scheduled for 2019...by Roy's hologram. I imagine Alabama could probably hold their own now against the 3-D pic.

Board footera