The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2019 4:14 pm  #1

All of the 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees, Ranked

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame released its long list of 2020 inductions this week. It’s a spectacularly diverse lineup of 16 acts put forward by the organization’s New York–based nomination committee.
The names of those potential inductees now get sent out to the so-called voting committee, which will narrow the list down to six or seven. With more than 1,000 members, the voting committee includes critics, publicists, industry weasels, former nominating-committee members, and all the hall’s previous inductees, from Cat Stevens to Madonna, from Jerry Lee Lewis to N.W.A, and from all the various inducted members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers to all the various inducted members of the Grateful Dead.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/2020-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominees-ranked.html

October 25, 2019 8:50 am  #2

Re: All of the 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees, Ranked

Lorne wrote:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame released its long list of 2020 inductions this week. It’s a spectacularly diverse lineup of 16 acts put forward by the organization’s New York–based nomination committee.
The names of those potential inductees now get sent out to the so-called voting committee, which will narrow the list down to six or seven. With more than 1,000 members, the voting committee includes critics, publicists, industry weasels, former nominating-committee members, and all the hall’s previous inductees, from Cat Stevens to Madonna, from Jerry Lee Lewis to N.W.A, and from all the various inducted members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers to all the various inducted members of the Grateful Dead.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/2020-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominees-ranked.html

Kraftwerk is one of my favourite bands and even though this writer ranks them highly in terms of getting in, I'm sceptical given all of the Hall's glaring omissions. If they do get in it will be interesting to see if Florian Schneider, one of the two founding members who were the brains of the outfit, will show up as he left the group under cloudy circumstances about 10 years ago.    

October 25, 2019 2:49 pm  #3

Re: All of the 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees, Ranked

Roman wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Kraftwerk is one of my favourite bands and even though this writer ranks them highly in terms of getting in, I'm sceptical given all of the Hall's glaring omissions. If they do get in it will be interesting to see if Florian Schneider, one of the two founding members who were the brains of the outfit, will show up as he left the group under cloudy circumstances about 10 years ago.    

Even though I do like What A Fool Believes (I've had an earworm of this song for two years, since a local commercial was advertising McDonald being at Toledo's Rib Off...yikes...true story), I must say I think if video killed the radio star, then Michael McDonald killed the Doobie Brothers, IMO.

Last edited by It's me Karen (October 25, 2019 2:50 pm)

Board footera