The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2019 3:49 am  #1

vinyl hoaxes

some of you surely recall the marcel marceau lp. were there ever any other similar hoax/joke albums of a like nature ever issued? none come to mind immediately here.

November 6, 2019 5:59 am  #2

Re: vinyl hoaxes

Milli Vanilli comes to mind.

November 6, 2019 7:01 am  #3

[img]https://img.discogs.com/KH8vvTdesDmH3DH_cu22b7eeLik=/fit-in/492x500/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-3374686-1337555273-7841.jpeg.jpg[/img]

gopher wrote:

some of you surely recall the marcel marceau lp. were there ever any other similar hoax/joke albums of a like nature ever issued? none come to mind immediately here.

This came to mind but apparently Harpo was a decent harp player.

November 6, 2019 9:34 am  #4

There are two other albums that come to mind that sort of fit this category. Monty Python's "Matching Tie & Handkerchief" LP had 3-sides, one of which only played if you put the stylus down on the record in the right place. According to the Wikipedia page on this:

"The album's original LP edition is particularly notable in that it was mastered with two concentric grooves on side two, so that different material would be played depending on where the stylus was put down on the record's surface. For this reason it is sometimes referred to as a "three-sided" record."

The Wonder Who? was actually Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons releasing material under an assumed name. They had one big hit with Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice," in which Valli sang with a ridiculous falsetto, even for him. They released a few other tunes under the name and then - bupkis. 

Another misleading LP was a record that featured a host of middle-of-the-road fairly bland elevator music of then-recent hits, by someone named "Eivets Rednow." It featured a picture of the name and some drums on the front cover, but no real indication of what else it was about. I even remember seeing it in the remainder bin selling for a buck in some store, and I recall looking at it way back then and walking away. 

It wasn't until years later that I discovered that "Eivets Rednow" was actually Stevie Wonder spelled backward and it was the Motown legend that put out this otherwise rather tame LP. 

Last edited by aflem (November 6, 2019 9:41 am)

November 6, 2019 10:06 am  #5

Wonder's version of Alfie was a minor hit from this album. From Wikipedia:
In 1968, Stevie Wonder released a harmonica instrumental version. This version made the Hot 100, peaking at #66, and it was also a Top 20 Easy Listening hit. Wonder's single was made for Gordy Records and released pseudonymously as Eivets Rednow - an inversion of "Stevie" and "Wonder".

November 9, 2019 4:27 pm  #6

don't know how i could have forgotten, or anyone else fail to mention, the masked marauders.

Last edited by gopher (November 9, 2019 4:29 pm)

November 10, 2019 8:18 am  #7

I may be veering from what you are really looking for, but how about the Archies? All we knew about them was they were a cartoon, didn't really think about who was doing the singing at the time.

November 10, 2019 5:56 pm  #8

Well, what I've been looking for recently is the first person, other than myself, to get to 100 posts ... and we have a winner! Ok, you haven't really won anything other than this congratulatory message, but we just don't have a big prize budget here.  

November 10, 2019 6:20 pm  #9

Lorne wrote:

Well, what I've been looking for recently is the first person, other than myself, to get to 100 posts ... and we have a winner! Ok, you haven't really won anything other than this congratulatory message, but we just don't have a big prize budget here.  

Well, I wondered why those balloons and streamers were flying all over me. 

Board footera