The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2019 10:32 pm  #1

Podcast Devoted To Some Detroit Radio History

Active Rock station WRIF-FM, launched in 1971, has been on the air in Detroit for over 48 years — so why not have a podcast retracing that history? The History of WRIF Podcast, hosted by former WRIF DJ Mike Staff and produced by current WRIF Host Steve Black, will feature discussions with past and present personalities reflecting on their memories from their time on the air.
The first episode will feature Motor City radio legend Arthur Penhallow. “Arthur P” was present for the launch of 101 WRIF in 1971 and spent several decades on the air at WRIF.
https://radioink.com/2019/11/06/podcast-devoted-to-some-detroit-radio-history/

November 7, 2019 6:03 am  #2

Re: Podcast Devoted To Some Detroit Radio History

I listened to the RIF during the 70s.  Great radio station.  Loved Arthur P.  BABY!

November 7, 2019 6:10 am  #3

Yes, when I saw this item on my local radio board, I figured that at least one person here would be interested. 

November 7, 2019 2:53 pm  #4

Got my attention too.  Looks like WRIF took a vacant slot that WKNR had held until 1970 when KNR started it's numerous tumultuous changes.  WKNR was THE radio station for rock and roll from 1963 to 1970. I had left SE Michigan by 1967 when I entered the Air Force.  I still have Keener 13 memorabilia.  Consequently, I never heard of WRIF and have no way of comparing it to WKNR.  I would put WKNR as THE "Baby Boomer Station."

November 8, 2019 6:05 am  #5

Little Rich wrote:

Got my attention too.  Looks like WRIF took a vacant slot that WKNR had held until 1970 when KNR started it's numerous tumultuous changes.  WKNR was THE radio station for rock and roll from 1963 to 1970. I had left SE Michigan by 1967 when I entered the Air Force.  I still have Keener 13 memorabilia.  Consequently, I never heard of WRIF and have no way of comparing it to WKNR.  I would put WKNR as THE "Baby Boomer Station."

I remember Keener as well!  I was a dial turner but KNR was on my trigger finger.  

Little Rich, I hope you can help me.  I have been thinking for years about this and couldn't find anything on the Internet.  Did KNR have a DJ named Christie, or something like that?  I vaguely remember Christie Critters and a song he would play adapted to this name.

November 8, 2019 8:22 am  #6

November 8, 2019 11:29 am  #7

My only acquaintance with Detroit radio was listening to CKLW (the Great 8) when I got off work at midnight at WSLR in Akron/Cleveland (The Country Giant) driving home.  However, I did want to mention seeing J. Michael Wilson in the above post.  He was on KOMA, Ok. City in the early 60's and like every other small town DJ in the Midwest, I judged my shtick as compared to the KOMA guys.  Big Fat Chuck Dan was another night time voice.  I met him when he was a staff announcer at CBS studios in Hollywood in the 1980's.

November 8, 2019 1:59 pm  #8

J. Michael Wilson also made a big splash in Toronto, working for both CKFH and CHUM, as the afternoon drive guy, with the infamous Rodney The Rodent. (This was a character done with Wilson's voice pre-recorded voice sped up, and him doing live shtick with it.) He was very popular on CHUM but his tenure with the station didn't last that long.  

As I look at the chart above, I'm astounded by how many songs I've never heard if. With certain exceptions, hits were hits regardless of the market, with a few regional records thrown in. But the sheer number of songs that didn't get played elsewhere on the list above is remarkable.

Baseball Dream by The Intruders?
M'Lady by Sly & The Family Stone?
Sally Had A Party by Flavor?
The Muffin Man by World of Oz?

And the KEY Song of the Week:

I'm Gonna To Make You Love Me? Maybe by The Supremes and The Temptations but Aesops Fables? Who?

I know a lot of obscure oldies, but I have trouble placing any of those. Yet, they occupy a large section of the Top 31.

November 8, 2019 2:19 pm  #9

I really liked Wilson because of Rodney Rodent ... that was quite the shtick, and the way he did it was pretty impressive. 
As for the songs on the chart, I did recognize M'Lady from the 2 weeks it spent on the CHUM Chart as the flip of their equally obscure song Life ... they peaked at #25. On Billboard, Life/M'Lady peaked at #93, and Sally Had A Party got to #95. So yes, it's interesting to see all of the songs you mentioned on this chart ... especially World Of Oz and Aesops Fables, who never made the Hot 100 at all. 

November 8, 2019 4:31 pm  #10

November 8, 2019 5:22 pm  #11

It's me Karen wrote:

Little Rich, I hope you can help me.  I have been thinking for years about this and couldn't find anything on the Internet.  Did KNR have a DJ named Christie, or something like that?  I vaguely remember Christie Critters and a song he would play adapted to this name.

Decided to see if I could find a KNR tribute site that might have some info about this DJ, and I found the following at https://keener13.com/inside/19671115.php ... hope that this is who you were wondering about.
"Diane Christie, secretary at Michigan Spot Sales, just celebrated her 19th birthday. Yes, (for those of you who didn't know), Diane is our Doug Christie's sister. (I guess Pop has done a pretty good job of convincing the kids that radio is a good business!)"

November 8, 2019 8:47 pm  #12

Lorne wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

Decided to see if I could find a KNR tribute site that might have some info about this DJ, and I found the following at https://keener13.com/inside/19671115.php ... hope that this is who you were wondering about.
"Diane Christie, secretary at Michigan Spot Sales, just celebrated her 19th birthday. Yes, (for those of you who didn't know), Diane is our Doug Christie's sister. (I guess Pop has done a pretty good job of convincing the kids that radio is a good business!)"

I should have been clear about the name.  Christie or Kristie was the last name of a male dj.  His first name may have been Paul.

November 8, 2019 10:47 pm  #13

Yes, but I was thinking that the Doug Christie referred to in that item might have been the DJ ... he's the only male named Christie that I found on the site (well, other than Lou). The following page indicates that he started there on Aug. 1, 1967 if that would make sense. 
https://keener13.com/inside/19680607.php

November 10, 2019 8:36 pm  #14

It's me Karen wrote:

Lorne wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

I should have been clear about the name.  Christie or Kristie was the last name of a male dj.  His first name may have been Paul.

Karen - did you get my email response? ~Rich 

Last edited by Little Rich (November 10, 2019 8:37 pm)

November 10, 2019 8:45 pm  #15

Just occurred to me to try searching about this in a different way ... check out the following link. 
http://www.mcrfb.com/?cat=175

November 11, 2019 6:12 am  #16

Little Rich wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Karen - did you get my email response? ~Rich 

Rich, I owe you and gopher an apology for not responding to your messages.  I simply had no idea I should look at the top of the page for messages.  I'll know now!

November 11, 2019 12:07 pm  #17

Maybe you should come here more often.  Seriously, this feature is easy to miss. In the past on my local radio forum, there were messages that were sent to me which I didn't notice for weeks, if not months. I'm trying to be more careful here, especially given that people might figure that the admin should be checking for messages. 

November 11, 2019 4:10 pm  #18

Lorne wrote:

Maybe you should come here more often.  Seriously, this feature is easy to miss. In the past on my local radio forum, there were messages that were sent to me which I didn't notice for weeks, if not months. I'm trying to be more careful here, especially given that people might figure that the admin should be checking for messages. 

That's exactly what happened to me.  I hope gopher and Rich understand.

November 12, 2019 3:06 am  #19

TOTALLY.  Thanks Karen

Board footera