The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 18, 2019 12:44 am  #1

Hit factories: 10 cities where UK pop history was made

From Van Morrison’s birthplace to the venues where the Who and the Specials made seminal live records, these often forgotten locations all have a great backstory to tell.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/nov/17/top-10-uk-cities-streets-venues-uk-pop-rock-music-history-was-made

November 18, 2019 1:47 pm  #2

Re: Hit factories: 10 cities where UK pop history was made

We attended our daughter's graduation from Aston University, Birmingham, England about 6 years ago and toured the area including London - our first time to England.  My daughter and wife humored me and we attended a British Rock 'n Roll Tour in London and surrounding area.  The 7-hour tour was cozy with the three of us plus three others in a comfortable van plus a fairly knowledgeable guide.  We visited many great birth places, well-known as well as not-so-well-known clubs, dives, recording studios and other prominent landmarks associated with the great "British Invaders."  It was well-worth every shilling.  It was mostly a drive with periodic stops for photos and stories and some walking.  I took voluminous notes and photos and did some fact-checking; 95% of what I heard from the tour-guide was pretty accurate. REALLY enjoyable.  The tour guide frequently commented on the major changes in the buildings, many vacant lots/razed edifices, many unrecognizable because they have changed owners and original business, e.g. dance club converted to business office, etc.  Final stop:  the very famous Abbey Road pedestrian crosswalk.  I even had my wife take a photo of me crossing it.  VERY busy intersection and the locals, I'm sure, are most certainly irritated by the prolific pedestrian traffic.  Anyway, great tour!

Board footera