The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2019 12:55 pm  #1

The Brill Building Book You Need To Read

This isn't a new tome by any means, but if you ever had any interest in the Brill Building era (where Carole King, Gerry Goffin, Neil Sedaka, Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, among others, plied their trade and wrote legendary music) there is an indispensable book about how it was all created called "Something Magic In The Air." (The title was taken from a lyric in the Drifters' "On Broadway.")

The book goes into detail about the writers, how they came up with their hits and recounts how then-youngsters like Carole King would sit and listen through sometimes paper-thin walls as other writers came up with tunes that are now considered classics - spawning a competitive fire that made everyone there even better. 

I've read the thing several times over the years and highly recommend it, if you have any interest at all in the pre-Beatles days of early 60s rock and roll.

Among the songs created in those legendary cubbyholes:

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
Stand By Me
Spanish Harlem
Teenager In Love
Dream Lover
Up On The Roof
Under The Boardwalk
Crying In The Rain
It Hurts To Be In Love
Do Wah Diddy
The Loco-Motion
One Fine Day
Leader of the Pack

Just to name an astounding few.

The book's a bit pricey on Amazon although there are some used bargains available. Well worth the money and the read if you have a 60s oldies fan in your house. (Or if you already are one.)

Always Magic In The Air at Amazon.com

Last edited by aflem (November 17, 2019 12:58 pm)

November 17, 2019 1:45 pm  #2

Re: The Brill Building Book You Need To Read

will look for it, thanks

November 19, 2019 12:46 pm  #3

Re: The Brill Building Book You Need To Read

I had the book but never read it. I think it ended up being donated during our recent move.

Tom Diehl

Board footera