The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2019 11:48 am  #1

The Turtles

My wife, who is 2 years older  than me and will be 36 this year, only remembers hearing 2 or 3 Turtles songs growing up, in southern California. She recalls only hearing Happy Together on the radio and the others she knows by her mom playing their records at home.

On the other side of the country, I grew up hearing at least 4 or 5 Turtles songs on the oldies station in Frederick, Maryland, WARX. It was enough that i went out and bought their 20 greatest hits CD and familiarized myself with the entire thing. Ultimately my favorite song became Hou Know What I Mean, a #12 Billboard hit, that radio forgot, and the Turtles don't do in concert because they dont like the song. I loved it because it just pulled me in instantly.

So, I ask you, what is your favorite Turtles record, and why?

Tom Diehl

January 12, 2019 6:22 pm  #2

Re: The Turtles

I have a hard time saying anything denigrating about them.  They had some low-key protest songs, some upbeat songs kind of approaching bubblegum.  Over all, they are great.

January 13, 2019 9:49 am  #3

Bruce NZ wrote:

My vote goes to Elenor. It must be the only song which includes the word "etcetera". I bought the book by Howard Kaylan and was't very impressed with some of his attitudes to life and women. But hey, that's showbiz

I so agree with "etcetera".  Great lyrics in that song.  One of the most satisfying flow of words in a song.

January 13, 2019 9:50 am  #4

I'd have to go with "It Ain't Me Babe".  I remember being in the second grade riding a bus with high school girls.  When that song came on the radio, they all squealed and sang along.  I was hooked.  Great song and great memories for me.

Last edited by It's me Karen (January 13, 2019 9:52 am)

January 13, 2019 1:49 pm  #5

I have to go with "Happy Together".  The song hooked me the first time I heard it and I remember singing it  often as I walked with my gal friend through the halls of junior college.  (That might of been one of the reasons we broke up.)
On another note the Turtles had been offered "Eve Of Destruction" to record but turned it down because it seemed too revolutionary.  I think it's clear that Barry McGuire had just the right voice for it.

January 13, 2019 9:31 pm  #6

I've always really liked She'd Rather Be with Me ... great example of sunshine pop.

January 13, 2019 11:18 pm  #7

One of my favorites was  Can I Get To Know You Better. It hardly made a dent in the U.S. charts but went Top 20 in N.Z.     On Elanore, surely must be the only song written with intention of stiffing ?

January 14, 2019 1:47 pm  #8

The Turtles had so may great and catchy songs that it is hard to pick one.  If I had to pick one it is "Can I Get To Know You Better", although I certainly enjoyed the satirical humor of "Elenore".

January 15, 2019 6:50 am  #9

I always liked You Showed Me. I saw Flo & Eddie do it live one time when they segued from that song into Riders On The Storm.

January 15, 2019 4:45 pm  #10

I always liked the opening lines to "It Ain't Me, Babe":  "​Go 'way from my window
Leave at your own chosen speed." The rest of the song is pretty cool, too. 

Last edited by Claude (January 15, 2019 4:45 pm)

January 15, 2019 8:13 pm  #11

GrimsbyFan wrote:

The Turtles had so may great and catchy songs that it is hard to pick one.  If I had to pick one it is "Can I Get To Know You Better", although I certainly enjoyed the satirical humor of "Elenore".

I can identify with your pick GrimsbyFa.  Can I Get To Know You Better is very upbeat and has great melody, despite that fact they only charted #89 on the Billboard Hot 100.  That said just about all of their music is great stuff. 

Board footera