The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2019 1:59 pm  #1

FORD v. FERRARI

Nostalgia tunes have often been used in movies to identify an era.    Prime example is American Graffiti which has been described in this forum (or its predecessor) as about music of '62.  Others argue that its about the influence of cars of the era.    Or radio of the era.    Or being sixteen in '62.     Or all of the foregoing. 

The subject movie isn't just about cars; its more about two ego maniacs (Henry Ford II and Enzo Ferrari) and  pride.   The Oldies board isn't a "car" forum so I apologize if anyone feels this post is out of line (although contributor Roman has often mentioned his Cadillac in posts here, so for Roman it may be relevant). 

Most of the many tunes in the flic are by other-than the artist who charted with them (probably for financial/royalty reasons).    Some are dominant while others are heard in the background, as if from a restaurant juke-box or from a radio playing in a garage . . . 

- Polk Salad Annie
 - Money (That's All I Want)
 - I Put a Spell On You
 - Love's Gonna Live Here 
 - Ace of Spades (when was the last time you heard anything in a movie by Link Wray?)
 - Don't Bring Me Down (the Animals)
 - Handy Man (Del Shannon's version which is excellent) 

I enjoyed it & give it two thumbs up (for what that's worth)

December 10, 2019 8:31 am  #2

Re: FORD v. FERRARI

if roman has mentioned a cadillac here, he must have been referencing geronimo's. i've ridden in his car a couple of times. it's a fine car, but it ain't that.

nevermind cars... international harvester. if you bought it (including a ticket to any major or mid-level touring band's show), a truck brought it. along with one or two refurbished greyhounds, most likely, of couse.

December 10, 2019 12:43 pm  #3

gopher wrote:

if roman has mentioned a cadillac here, he must have been referencing geronimo's. i've ridden in his car a couple of times. it's a fine car, but it ain't that 

That's good to know.   Cadillac owners these days tend to be pimps & pushers and of course the Oldies moderator wouldn't let anyone of unsavory character sign onto this site.    Thx for clearing that up.

G.

P.S. - out of curiosity, what vehicle does the man drive?   Are you suggesting an International Harvester Travelall?     Not likely, as IH stopped marketing those in the mid 1970s. 

December 10, 2019 2:45 pm  #4

Ironically, earlier this year I started to wonder about the fact that I was suddenly getting one new user registering after another. When I looked at their registration info it was suspicious, so I deleted them and added a question to try and screen out that kind of thing. A few months later I had a couple of new users try to answer the queestion by just repeating a word from it, so then I added another question asking where the person is located. There haven't been any further problems since then.
But having said that, Cadillac owners are definitely ok by me. Many years ago when my father was out for a walk, he stopped to look a local real estate agent's Cadillac and then the agent gave him a ride in it. My father really appreciated this, so thanks for helping to bring back that very special memory.

December 11, 2019 7:13 am  #5

G. wrote:

Cadillac owners these days tend to be pimps & pushers ...

A Cadillac is not a car to scorn. Beep, beep.

Last edited by Taz (December 11, 2019 7:15 am)

December 11, 2019 7:38 am  #6

Yes, very true. My father loved that song (by the Playmates, if there's anyone here who doesn't know it).

December 11, 2019 8:37 am  #7

"Speedoo" (1956) by the Cadillacs and "Come Softly to Me" & "Mr Blue" (both 1959) by the Fleetwoods come to mind.    

G. 

P.S. - still wondering what roman is driving, or maybe he takes the TTC

December 11, 2019 8:43 am  #8

Big Boy Pete

December 11, 2019 8:46 am  #9

Freeway Of Love by Aretha Franklin ... pink Cadillac.

December 11, 2019 2:59 pm  #10

I took my Cobra down to the track
Hitched to the back of my Cadillac

Rip Chords. 1964 

December 11, 2019 3:19 pm  #11

Not as well known as some, but a big hit in Canada: Ronnie Hawkins' "Mary Lou"

(Mary Lou, Mary Lou) She took my diamond ring
(Mary Lou, Mary Lou) She took my watch and chain
(Mary Lou) She took the keys to my Cadillac car
Jumped in my Kitty and she drove a-far

December 11, 2019 3:45 pm  #12

Yes, and it was also his only top 40 hit in the US (reaching #26 on Billboard, vs. #6 on CHUM Toronto).

December 11, 2019 4:09 pm  #13

I believe Johnny Cash built a Cadillac one piece at a time in song.  What year was that?  Well it was  a 49, 50, 51, 52, 53...

December 11, 2019 5:01 pm  #14

Johnny released a song entitled "One Piece At A Time" about a Kentuckian who heads to Detroit assembly line for work.  Knowing he'd never afford a Cadillac, he proceeds to steal parts from the assembly line and, during the course of his time on the line, and build a car, starting in 1949 wasn't completed until 1973. Cash refers to the finished vehicle as a “psychobilly Cadillac.” It has a '53 transmission, a '73 engine, a single tail fin, and three headlights, two on one side of the car. ... “You could say I went to the factory and picked it up,” Cash says - that's because he was stealing parts from the Cadillac assembly line, piece by piece.  I, personally had several friends in high school who had dreams of making the "big bucks" on an assembly line but i don't REALLY think any of them had the  ambition to do this.  (:>)

December 11, 2019 5:46 pm  #15

G. wrote:

"Speedoo" (1956) by the Cadillacs and "Come Softly to Me" & "Mr Blue" (both 1959) by the Fleetwoods come to mind.    

G. 

P.S. - still wondering what roman is driving, or maybe he takes the TTC

It's an '03 CTS, but I think I mentioned it on the board only because of its audio system, as it's one of the few cars still on the road with a cassette deck. BTW, today I played my Bachelor Pad Christmas cassette, and next up it's A Tejano Christmas and then An Austin R & B Christmas. It really is the most wonderful time of the year.

December 12, 2019 7:23 am  #16

aflem wrote:

With respect, I believe Ronnie Hawkins was singing "Jumped in my Caddy and she drove a-far"

December 12, 2019 7:53 am  #17

Let's not overlook "Santa Claus is Back in Town" by the late, great Elvis Presley. . . got no slavin' reindeer, no sack on my back, you're gonna see me comin' in a big black Cadillac"

December 12, 2019 7:58 am  #18

G. wrote:

aflem wrote:

With respect, I believe Ronnie Hawkins was singing "Jumped in my Caddy and she drove a-far"

Easily solved around the :20 second mark. I hear "Kitty" but your mileage may differ. 

December 12, 2019 12:43 pm  #19

Is due to the Arkansas accent.   When R. Hawkins sang about a Caddy it sounded like "kitty".  Conversely, when Bill or Hillary sang about a kitty it came out as "Caddy"

G.

December 12, 2019 1:51 pm  #20

You could be right. But I copied the words off of one of those lyrics website. And several published "kitty," which is what I still hear. 

[url=https://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/ronnie_hawkins/mary_lou.html#!]Lyricsmode.com[/url]
Songlyrics.com

Still, another site confirms your version, so who knows?

Lyrics.com

Last edited by aflem (December 12, 2019 1:52 pm)

December 12, 2019 3:28 pm  #21

When I saw this debate earlier, I was surprised for a couple of reasons. First, I have heard that song many times over the years and never thought about what he was singing. However, I've always found it to be a rather dreary song -- it's the only one of Hawkins' many hits here that I don't like -- to the point that I'm realizing that I've never really paid proper attention to this word. I think it sounds like kitty, but the context would certainly indicate that it was his Caddy. So I tried Googling this line earlier, and found that there wre a few hundred sites that give it as kitty and a few hundred others that gave it as Caddy. And while the pronunciations seem too different to me to be explained by regional differences, this could be one explanation for it. But I wonder if there could be another explanation, e.g. if kitty was supposed to be something more like a pet name for his car. Just a thought. 

Board footera