The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2019 7:22 pm  #1

Story Time!

As I mentioned on the previous oldies board, it's been about 12 years since I posted some of my tales of my DJ days.  Since we have a new board, and probably some new visitors, I thought I post a few again and see what kind of response they get.  So now, on with the countdown....

The first time this country singer made a tour stop in Albany, NY I was working the all-nighter on WOKO-AM.  I was backstage when the singer's bass player approached me.  Now this was 1968 and the country folk hadn't become comfortable yet with long hair on the male populace.  Of course, the bass player did have long hair and he wanted to take a run to the theater snack bar, but he'd have to walk up through the audience to get there.  So he asked me if I'd go with him to show he was OK.

Of course I was glad to do it, so we made the trek and absolutely nothing happened.  I think he mentioned it to his boss how I had helped, because a few months later the singer made another tour stop in Albany.  This time, he walked up to me and said "Hey man, is there a coffee shop around here?"  Luckily there was one right down the block from the theater so he said to me "Let's go get a cup". 

As we were walking out the door, I heard a deep, powerful voice ask "Where are you fellas goin'?"  I said we were going out for a cup of coffee so he said "Wait for me!"  So, there I was in a coffee shop booth sitting next to Tex Ritter and across from my singer friend, Waylon Jennings.

Waylon was complaining that Chet (Atkins) wouldn't let him do what he wanted to record.  Waylon was a bit of a star at that point, but about 6 years or so from 'superstardom'. Tex, a veteran of solid hit pop and country records and over 80 cowboy movies,in turn, in that deep rich Southern lawyer accent he had, kept telling Waylon that he was making good money now, on the charts, getting the good tours and he should be enjoying himself.   To which Waylon replied "Damnit hoss, I can do better".

I can assure you I never said one word the whole time, but just sat there basking in the glow of hanging out with two of the biggest stars in country music.  They both thanked me when we got back and I look back on it now and appreciate what a thrill that was.

A trivia note...Tex Ritter sang the first Oscar nominated song on the first Oscars TV broadcast back in 1954.  Of course, it was "High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)". from the movie "High Noon" with Gary Cooper.

January 17, 2019 12:29 am  #2

Re: Story Time!

That was great. Please, keep posting more stories.

Tom Diehl

January 17, 2019 6:12 am  #3

Jim's stories make me feel like I'm rubbing elbows with the famous.  I love them!

January 17, 2019 7:57 am  #4

always enjoy the "real deal" Jim

January 17, 2019 8:05 am  #5

Another vote here for Jim's stories.  Keep 'em comin' Jim!

On a side note a couple of weeks ago I was surfing through some DirecTV channels and came upon the Jimmy Dean Show.  A featured performer was Tex Ritter who sang "High Noon" like nobody else could.  I'm not sure what the channel was but this station seems to run a series of the old Dean show periodically.  I recall reading a story many years ago that when Jimmy became well-known he was sometimes criticized for taking on deceased actor James Dean's name.  His response was, "Hey people!  That's my real name!". 

Board footera