The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2019 7:15 pm  #1

Jack Scott

Sad new to report. Jack Scott passed away from a heart attack.

December 13, 2019 5:50 am  #2

Re: Jack Scott

I did a search for news reports about this and didn't find any yet, but I see there are numerous posts about this on his Facebook page ... it's at https://www.facebook.com/jackscott.rockhall.

December 13, 2019 5:55 am  #3

Great guy!  One day circa summer of 1967 (seems  yesterday) Jack was playing the Grand Hotel.   Not-so-grand but it was situated on the Grand River in Bridgeport, now part of Kitchener, ON) and a bunch of us were hootin' & hollerin' and he joined us between sets.     We shot the breeze and everyone practised declaring WHAT in the WORLD's come over you? (beer was a factor) and he seemed to get a kick out of that.      Great fun.    A great guy.

December 13, 2019 9:32 am  #4

A great Canadian site called FYImusicnews.ca has a terrific story about Scott. It was written by Warren Cosford, a radio industry veteran who worked for, among others,  the legendary CHUM-AM in Toronto. He's the first I've seen to confirm Scott died of congestive heart failure at 84. And he talks about how important he was to would-be Canadian musicians in those early rock and roll days.

And then there's the surprising connection between Jack Scott and --- Led Zeppelin? Really? Apparently more so than most of us ever knew.

RIP: Jack Scott, Canada's First Rock Star

December 13, 2019 1:25 pm  #5

Thanks very much, aflem. I don't know of a bigger fan of Jack Scott than Warren Cosford, and that article is a wonderful tribute to Jack. 

December 13, 2019 10:13 pm  #6

Sorry to hear of Jack's passing.  His songs were a welcome kick as I moseyed through my high school days.  When I started my first pro gig as a radio DJ (KTEO, 1340 AM, San Angelo, TX) Jack's recording of "If Only" was on the playlist and I played it every show until it was taken off.  I was disappointed that it never made the charts. 

December 14, 2019 7:01 pm  #7

I second the thanks.  That is a wonderful article.

December 15, 2019 12:20 am  #8

December 22, 2019 9:27 am  #9

December 22, 2019 1:08 pm  #10

Excellent!!     I love the Italian hillbilly part.

Last edited by Flo (December 26, 2019 4:34 pm)

Board footera