The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2019 9:03 pm  #1

groups most of us don't know who the singers are

I've always liked The Tokens and The Happening but, who are they?  just wondering, how many groups do you remember that are anonymous

December 7, 2019 1:51 am  #2

Re: groups most of us don't know who the singers are

moby grape?

December 7, 2019 6:56 pm  #3

One of the original Tokens was Neil Sedaka and one was Hank Medress who, after being a performer with the Tokens, became a producer and songwriter.  As a producer he formed B T Puppy label and among the acts he contracted were the Tokens & The Happening.

December 17, 2019 9:06 pm  #4

In a sort of sideways twist on this thread, I once produced a radio talk show in which the late, great Gene Pitney was the guest. He said people always told him how much they loved his singing on "Black Is Black." Only problem is he never sang on it nor was he ever a member of Los Bravos. But I have to admit, it did sound a lot like him.  

December 18, 2019 6:20 am  #5

aflem wrote:

In a sort of sideways twist on this thread, I once produced a radio talk show in which the late, great Gene Pitney was the guest. He said people always told him how much they loved his singing on "Black Is Black." Only problem is he never sang on it nor was he ever a member of Los Bravos. But I have to admit, it did sound a lot like him.  

Around the 80s I was at an outdoor party and the radio was playing oldies.  We were playing Name the Artist.  "Black Is Black" started playing.  My husband and I shouted out Los Bravos and this lady yelled Gene Pitney.  She and a guy sitting near us wouldn't believe us, and swore up and down it was Pitney.  The guy asked me,  "How do you know?  She could be right."  That was before Google.  We couldn't prove it, so she went home that night believing Gene Pitney sang the song. Wonder if she ever found the truth?

December 18, 2019 8:43 am  #6

I hadn't thought about it but you are so right. It does sound like Gene Pitney. 

December 20, 2019 3:23 pm  #7

In response to the question posed in the first post of this thread, Jay Siegel, the Tokens' lead singer, has been with the group since its formation in 1956, the formation that included Neil Sedaka.  After Sedaka left, Siegel, Medress, along with Mitch and Phil Margo reformed the group in 1961.  Jay Siegel continues to perform as the lead singer of the group to this day.

Board footera