The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2019 12:30 am  #1

Unbelievable Feat As Xmas Oldie Hits Billboard #3 59 Yrs. Later

Brenda Lee is coming on strong nearly 60 years after releasing one of her true classic hits. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree hit #3 on Billboard's Hot 100 this week, 59 years and 9 days from its chart debut, an incredible record that will likely never happen again.

Despite being recorded in 1958, it wasn't released until 1960 and only hit #14 back then.

It's not the only oldie to resurface long after its best before date. Burl Ives famous Holly Jolly Christmas landed at #10 this week, another incredible return.

This all happens the same week that Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas hits #1 - a quarter of a century after it first came out.

It's worth noting that the old Hot 100 was based on record sales and the like. The new one takes in streaming, which makes it a lot harder to compare to what happened in previous years.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/8547002/hot-100-first-ever-christmas-double-up-mariah-carey

December 24, 2019 1:13 am  #2

Re: Unbelievable Feat As Xmas Oldie Hits Billboard #3 59 Yrs. Later

Thx aflem - I noticed in the same website Judy Collins "Winter Stories" album.  I listened and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Great album without question!!

December 24, 2019 2:06 pm  #3

Re: Unbelievable Feat As Xmas Oldie Hits Billboard #3 59 Yrs. Later

A slight update. In the new chart, Lee's "Tree" has moved up to #2, making it the first time in Billboard history that two Christmas songs have ever topped the Hot 100 at the same time. 

Board footera