The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2019 2:06 pm  #1

The Station That Plays None Of The Hits All Of The Time

Not sure if this has ever been highlighted on this board before, but there's an Internet station based out of Toronto that I've been listening to recently. It's called "Oh Wow! The Songs Radio Forgot" and it's not your average oldies station.

That's because the guy who runs it pledges to play the songs that either skirted the bottom fringes of the Top 40 or for some reason were successful chart tunes but never get aired today. 

They just played "Pretty Flamingo" from Manfred Mann, followed by "Sweet Surrender" by David Gates & Bread. It's not that they're obscure - both were pretty big hits. It's just they never get played any more as music directors concentrate on the same old Top 300, forgetting some of the others that may not have hit the Top 10 - but did make it to #11.

Worth a listen if you want to hear a few forgotten favorites you may not remember that you'd forgotten. 

Oh Wow! The Songs Radio Forgot  

Last edited by aflem (December 27, 2019 2:08 pm)

December 28, 2019 11:13 am  #2

Re: The Station That Plays None Of The Hits All Of The Time

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  The first song I heard was "The Son Of Hickory Hollers Tramp" by O.C. Davis.  Saved and loved.

December 28, 2019 1:04 pm  #3

When I checked out the link, I saw a very familiar name as the contact person, Dale Patterson.  Below his name was a very familiar web site, 'rockradioscrapbook.ca'.  I call that to your attention because it is a treasure trove of old radio memories of radio stations and DJ's.  I do suggest you go there and look it over.  One of the features is a collection of old air checks listed by decades.  The 1960's group list starts off with "Murray the K", of New York City fame.  Second is Ron Lundy of St. Louis and third is.......Jim Southern of KTEO, San Angelo, TX.  Yep, I'm in the list as a representation of the many small market guys that had the fun but not the fame. 

December 28, 2019 8:48 pm  #4

Dale Patterson, the guy behind "Oh Wow: The Songs Radio Forgot", here.

"Oh Wow" started in September 18, 2018. We have about 1,500 songs, with a goal of 3,000+. More are being added every day. We have a Facebook page where you can place requests.

There are six criteria:

1) Songs that were moderate hits in their time (chart positions 11-40).

2) Songs that "Coulda Shoulda, Woulda" been hits, generally outside the Top 40.

3) "B" sides that should have been the "A" side.

4) Regional hits.

5) Album cuts that should've been a single.

6) Songs that were hits in their time but rarely get played anymore. 

https://live365.com/station/Oh-Wow--The-Songs-Radio-Forgot-a68406

Last edited by big g (December 28, 2019 8:48 pm)

January 3, 2020 12:58 am  #5

As for Rock Radio Scrapbook, the address is:

Board footera