The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2020 1:20 pm  #1

67 Lost Singles Of The 60s

This is from a British source, so many of the titles listed may not have ever reached these shores. Still, it's an interesting trip through some hits that weren't really hits - but which the authors insist should have been. Not sure if I agree with all of them, but there are a few revelations here as I go down the list - and among them is that some of the tunes that were big in North America apparently never made it over there. 

Take #25 for example. "Crystal Blue Persuasion" by Tommy James obscure? It went to #2 on Billboard and #1 in Canada and was all over the radio in 1969. But to British ears, it's a miss? Hard to believe. Similarly, "Nobody But Me," a one hit wonder by The Human Beinz was a #8 Billboard smash. How did English ears miss it?

And on it goes - Backfield in Motion by Mel & Tim, We Can Fly from the Cowsills, We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet by the Blues Magoos, Peppermint Rainbow's Will You Be Staying After Sunday and more. Great tunes all, but lost? Not on this side of the Atlantic. 

Still, it's a fun quick read and it may introduce you to some songs you've never heard of but just might discover for the first time in more than 50 years.

67 Lost Singles Of The 60s

January 1, 2020 1:41 pm  #2

Re: 67 Lost Singles Of The 60s

I've seen a fair amount of that over the years, largely from my use of Wikipedia ... their chart info varies a lot depending on the artist, but they often have columns for US and UK chart data and they can really vary. I'm not sure if we have any British members here or not, because it would be good to see a British pespective on this. But for what it's worth, I'll suggest that at least part of the issue would be that there were so many other songs that did better there -- including some American artists who had continued success there after they stopped having hits here, which was particularly ironic in the case of the ones that were displaced on the charts by British Invasion artists. I can't recall if there were any Canadian artists who went to the UK because they were doing better on the charts there. That wouldn't have been likely to be the case once radio stations had to start playing 30% Canadian content, but that wasn't until 1971 and so I wonder if there could have been any before that. 

Board footera