The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2020 7:10 pm  #1

When Gary Lewis Did Jerry Lewis On A Famous 45 B-Side

Most know that Gary Lewis (of Gary Lewis and The Playboys fame) was the son of comedian Jerry Lewis. But I wonder how many are aware that the son once paid tribute to his famous father on the B-side of one of his biggest hits. 

On the flip side of "Everybody Loves A Clown," Gary Lewis does a tune called "Time Stands Still." It's completely unremarkable except for one thing - at around the 1:15 mark, he does the final verse in the voice of his dad. It is a very bizarre moment and I remember when my brother bought the single and I flipped it over just to see what was on the other side, I was surprised to hear this example, the one time I know of that he did this on vinyl.

January 6, 2020 10:46 am  #2

Re: When Gary Lewis Did Jerry Lewis On A Famous 45 B-Side

By the way, there's a video interview of Gary Lewis on the web, and at one point he tells a terrific story about how his hit "Count Me In" came to be. 

He explains that the group was in the studio with producer Snuff Garrett working on various songs for their next single and they laid down four tracks. By the time they finished, it was 4 in the morning. Garrett didn't like any of them. Lewis suggested they all go home and try again in the morning, when writer Glen Hardin popped into the studio, insisted he'd just finished a great song and wanted them to hear it. 

So he played and sang it there in the middle of the night and Garrett was enthralled. "That's a hit!" he exclaimed, and he insisted the group learn it and record it on the spot. When Lewis complained it was 4 am, Garrett replied that was when some groups do their best work and being tired sometimes results in the greatest performances. 

Not sure if I'd agree with that, but they decided to lay it down on tape anyway - and that's the song that went to #2 on Billboard in 1965.

I love origin stories I never knew about songs I always liked and that's a great one.   

Board footera