The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2020 5:47 pm  #1

Man Behind Novelty Hit "Kookie Lend Me Your Comb" Dies At 87

Anyone remember the TV show 77 Sunset Strip? It featured a 50s hipster named Edd "Kookie" Byrnes, who was always combing his hair and speaking in a bizarre slang. It helped the show become a hit for a time on ABC. And it spawned a strange hit that Byrnes recorded with Connie Stevens called "Kookie Lend Me Your Comb," a tune that eventually went to #4 on Billboard and won a gold record. 

Byrnes died on Thursday, the eternal teen in that show, now 87 years old.

Edd Byrnes, ‘Grease’ and ’77 Sunset Strip’ Star, Dies at 87

January 10, 2020 11:51 am  #2

Re: Man Behind Novelty Hit "Kookie Lend Me Your Comb" Dies At 87

I first heard that record on an oldies show on CHUM in the early 1970s. I liked most of the songs that they played on this show, but I didn't know anything about 77 Sunset Strip and wondered how such a "Kookie" record could have become a hit. So my mother told me about the show and that helped, but I was still surprised that it could have become such a big hit ... on CHUM it reached #6, and it was the #30 song for all of 1959.

January 10, 2020 12:50 pm  #3

It's really a terrible song, but Byrnes was a huge sensation on TV during the time it came out (in fact, that's the only reason it came out) and that helped fuel the sales. You almost never hear it today, and that's because, unlike other oldies, it really isn't very good. But back then, when you had weekly exposure on a major hit show, you exploited it for a quick buck. (Proving nothing much has changed!)

It's the same reason Shelley Fabares had "Johnny Angel," Paul Petersen hit the charts with "My Dad" & "She Can't Find Her Keys." Both openly admitted they couldn't sing, but producers used their sudden popularity on The Donna Reed Show to rush them into a studio and turn out an album.

Another young star who made records but couldn't really sing was Patty Duke, who hit with "Say Something Funny To Me" and "Don't Just Stand There." Again, she would later reflect that she really wasn't a singer and was pretty much forced to turn out a record just so they could cash in on her fame with her eponymous show. (Although to be fair, I always liked "Don't Just Stand There.")

They were the successful ones. Somewhere upstairs, I have an album Dwayne Hickman recorded for some reason. They even had him perform a few tunes on "Dobie Gillis" - but he never made the charts.  Not that they didn't try!

January 10, 2020 1:28 pm  #4

I remember watching the show and I wasn't surprised when "Kookie..." came out.  I will say that I didn't tune out the station while it was on.  I guess it helped get Connie Stevens a few rungs up on the ladder because several months later "16 Reasons" came out  and reached #3 on Billboard.  I really liked one of her later releases, "Mr. Songwriter" which was on the playlist when I started my DJ career in Texas.  She did have some longevity in her show-biz career which I do respect.

January 10, 2020 1:39 pm  #5

Connie Stevens certainly did have singing talent, and I was familiar with Sixteen Reasons by the time I heard Kookie. But I think that just made it even harder for me to understand the way that Kookie was done. At least with some other songs such as Johnny Angel, backup singers and other production techniques were used to put out something that was (at least for me) much more of a reasonable and listenable effort. Even if Byrnes didn't have any real singing ability, I would think that there would have been ways of still coming up with a better record especially considering that Stevens could sing.

January 11, 2020 1:44 pm  #6

Lorne, keep in mind that "Kookie" came out in 1959 and Shelly and Paul were in 1962.  In '59, the teen scene was still rather new and the suits at the big labels ("Kookie" was on Warner) were still trying to figure it out.  77 Sunset Strip was a hit show and Edd Byrnes and his "hip" talking was one of the prime reasons.  Putting the character on wax and getting him on the big Top 40 stations just helped the show get more 'exposure'!  Shelly and Paul's hits were on Colpix, which had more experience with the Top 40 genre, since they'd success with the Marcels and James Darren.  Their hits did not tie in directly with "The Donna Reed Show" but selling their well-produced recordings with their familiar names was pretty easy for Program Directors to buy.  Connie had her solo single hit in March of 1960 and in May Warner landed the Everly Brothers so they were finally catching up.

January 11, 2020 2:39 pm  #7

Thanks for the additional info, Jim. Because I was born in 1960, I have no firsthand knowledge of the context of any of these records. I think that most of what I know has come from the postings of others on the former board, and I'm learning more from what both you and aflem have posted here.
However, I had also thought about mentioning Fabian, and his first hits were in 1959 as well. Of course he's admitted that he also didn't have much singing ability, but in his case production techniques were used to make his records sound better. And this brings to mind what happened when my parents gave me an album of songs from the era that included Turn Me Loose. To my surprise, my father -- who wasn't into rock music at all -- really liked the song, and I didn't get the impression that he knew about Fabian's lack of singing ability. I was aware of this and figured that this was why I wasn't familiar with the song, but I also liked it and was impressed at it being a reasonable-sounding effort. I felt that this had at least partly been achieved by having Fabian do the vocals in a way that was more talking than singing, but it still ended up sounging more like a song than was the case with Kookie. But this makes me wonder if such techniques had really been used prior to Fabian. The other example that I can think of from that era that was by someone who really wasn't a singer is Young Love by Tab Hunter, but I don't know if anything was done to enhance his voice in that case. I think they might have just done the best that they could in terms of background vocals and instrumentation, plus of course using his star actor status to help promote the record. 

January 12, 2020 12:18 pm  #8

aflem wrote:

Anyone remember the TV show 77 Sunset Strip? It featured a 50s hipster named Edd "Kookie" Byrnes, who was always combing his hair and speaking in a bizarre slang.

I remember, I posted a little over 3 years ago, on the old board, that METV was rerunning the shows and I thought people should know who Kookie was before he became Vince Fontaine in Grease  (somebody posted they never realized they were the same actor).

Speaking of the bizarre slang, does anybody remember the Kookie dictionary?  I had one.  It was about 3” square with the book being made by stapling pages together at a center fold.  I think I got it by sending in box tops or something (before the “proof of purchase” term was coined).   It was called a beatnik dictionary even though Kookie was a hipster.  The beatnik was on another show mentioned above before he became Gilligan.

Speaking of beatnik, does anybody remember when what is called troll dolls now were sold as “niks”  All the names of what they were dressed as ended in nik.

Found one on ebay:

Last edited by Taz (January 12, 2020 12:41 pm)

January 12, 2020 1:49 pm  #9

Jim Southern wrote:

Their hits did not tie in directly with "The Donna Reed Show"

Actually, Petersen did perform the song in the show, as the video below illustrates. So did Shelley Fabares on her lone hit. The producers would have been crazy not to promote their stars and their songs, striking while the iron was hot. 

I'm less sure about whether Patty Duke ever performed any of her tunes on her show but it wouldn't surprise me if she did.

January 12, 2020 8:53 pm  #10

Taz wrote:

I remember, I posted a little over 3 years ago, on the old board, that METV was rerunning the shows and I thought people should know who Kookie was before he became Vince Fontaine in Grease  (somebody posted they never realized they were the same actor).

I think that my mother probably didn't either. I saw Grease with her (and my father), but despite her telling me about Kookie, I don't recall her saying anything about the same actor being Fontaine -- and I'm sure she would have mentioned this to me if she had.

Board footera