The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2020 5:37 pm  #1

Rest in peace, Ron Smith

I'm devastated to learn this news today, Ron passed away suddenly. I'm thankful he had the original oldies website and board for us to gather at. Rest in paradise, Ron.

https://www.curleyfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Ronald-P-Smith?obId=10529311#/obituaryInfo

Tom Diehl

January 14, 2020 6:56 pm  #2

Re: Rest in peace, Ron Smith

I am truly shocked.  Because of the many times he replied to my postings and the several private messages he sent over the years, I really considered him a real friend.  I deeply appreciate all that he did to help us share our many oldies memories.  Thank you Ron.  R.I.P.

January 14, 2020 7:07 pm  #3

Oh My! Sorry to hear this. RIP Ron and thanks for turning me on to the Oldies Music Board!

January 14, 2020 7:14 pm  #4

My heart is breaking.  I'm forever grateful to him for starting his board.  Thank you Ron.

RIP

January 15, 2020 12:39 am  #5

I was very deeply shocked and saddened to find out about Ron's sudden passing from Tom's post here. This board wouldn't exist if it wasn't for all that Ron did over the 20+ years that he very generously hosted the oldiesmusic.com site, and the Oldies Music Bulletin Board. It is very ironic that I had just posted recently about this board's one-year anniversary, and had referenced the former board in doing so. Although Ron never posted here, he was one of the original people to join this board -- and so he was able to see that what he had created on his site would live on in a new form. I hope that he took satisfaction in this, and I thank him for all that he did for us over the years. He will be very much missed. 

January 15, 2020 1:07 am  #6

Lorne - Thanks for carrying this Board beyond where Ron had gone with oldiesmusic.com.  This Board could be somewhat of a legacy to Ron Smith.  His sharing of not only his incredible knowledge base and his tremendous unselfish giving so that all of us could share and learn ourselves - incredible!!

January 15, 2020 5:56 am  #7

Little Rich wrote:

Lorne - Thanks for carrying this Board beyond where Ron had gone with oldiesmusic.com.  This Board could be somewhat of a legacy to Ron Smith.  His sharing of not only his incredible knowledge base and his tremendous unselfish giving so that all of us could share and learn ourselves - incredible!!

well, i don't really see this board as being ron's legacy, as much as its inspiration and a tribute to him.

ron was kind enough to reply to me regarding questions about chicago on several occasions, and i got the impression that he did appriciate my contributions, meager though they may have been, to his board. i'm almost certain that lorne has the same perspective as well, and  ron's spirit will continue to embrace this board.

Last edited by gopher (January 15, 2020 7:16 am)

January 15, 2020 7:32 am  #8

StereoTom wrote:

I'm devastated to learn this news today, Ron passed away suddenly. I'm thankful he had the original oldies website and board for us to gather at. Rest in paradise, Ron.

https://www.curleyfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Ronald-P-Smith?obId=10529311#/obituaryInfo

Yes, this really is really sad. As I mentioned on FB, a few weeks back I jokingly corresponded with Ron about a former Blue Jay that the White Sox had picked up, and this comes as a shock. RIP 

January 15, 2020 11:30 am  #9

When I set up this board, I deliberately chose a name that would be similar to, but not the same as the old board ... what I thought at the time was that this board wasn't really a continuation of Ron's, but rather a successor to it. The news of his passing got me thinking yesterday about other words, and they included legacy, inspiration, and tribute -- but I thought I'd like to see how others might view the situation. So I appreciate all the kind comments that people have made about this, and the main thing for me is that this board carries on, in its own way, with some of what Ron had developed on his site.

January 15, 2020 7:24 pm  #10

Awful news.  Have made long standing friendships through his board and learnt a lot on the way from very knowledgeable people.  Some like Gator were legends and larger than life.  
  You are doing a great job Lorne,  in regard to the new board and with a nod to those friends from old one  that have passed on, I think those lines of Tennyson sum it up   "  Tho' much is taken, much abides "

January 16, 2020 5:16 pm  #11

Lorne said it all.  What a shock.

January 16, 2020 6:51 pm  #12

Flo, this has made me appreciate having this board that much more. I'm mentioning this in response to you, because you were the one who suggested setting up a new board and that I might be the person to do so ... and you also did so quickly enough that we ended up with over 50 people joining us here from the old board. It was through Tom's posting here that I learned of Ron's passing, and I'm sure that this has been true of many others here as well. And this has also given us a place to come together to remember and express our appreciation for Ron. 

January 17, 2020 3:11 pm  #13

Ron will be missed but now he’s up there with Elvis, Buddy, Janis, Jim, Jimi, and so many others.

January 17, 2020 3:28 pm  #14

I did not know the man, because I'm new here, but I've been impressed by the legacy he appears to have left. I can't think of a more fitting tribute than this one:

Last edited by aflem (January 17, 2020 3:32 pm)

January 17, 2020 5:27 pm  #15

Nearly perfect aflem!

January 18, 2020 8:45 am  #16

Nice job, aflem.

Some years ago, I started a twitter account and somewhere along the way I found Ron there.  We followed each other.  I grew closer to him through twitter just because of each of us liking or retweeting the other's posts.  He would reply to a few of mine.  It was all fun and games with us.  Nothing serious.  He was one of my most steadfast responders.  I'll miss him in that respect as well.

January 19, 2020 9:53 pm  #17

such sad news, RIP Ron 

January 20, 2020 11:56 am  #18

Dale Patterson, who joined us here recently, has now added Ron to his Rock Radio Heaven page at http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/heavens.html. Thanks, Dale. 

January 27, 2020 5:41 pm  #19

A touching article in the Chicago Tribune pays tribute to the late radio veteran.

AM/FM icons mourn Mokena man remembered as a ‘great friend to anyone who loves radio’

Board footera