The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2020 10:47 am  #1

The Most Useless Piece Of Musical Trivia You'll Read This Year

According to an article on the website Closer Weekly, Hunt and Tony Sales, the sons of late comedian Soupy Sales, were both musicians who played in David Bowie's band, Tin Machine. 

Now that's what I call irrelevant and obscure oldies trivia. So of course, I had to post it here!

Last edited by aflem (January 27, 2020 10:48 am)

January 27, 2020 10:49 pm  #2

Re: The Most Useless Piece Of Musical Trivia You'll Read This Year

I've read that it wasn't Stewart on Lollipop, but you've obviously read that as well and I don't know that there's anything definitive regarding this. However, as far as I know it is definite that Mike McGear is actually McCartney's brother.

January 28, 2020 1:28 am  #3

irrelevant? obscure? compared to whom, or what?.

aside from being a sideman on keyboards in iggy pop's band for a tour or two, alongside hunt and tony sales who have toured and recorded, as drummer and bassist respectively, with iggy for, off and on, at least several decades, tin machine was arguably the hardest hitting, straight-up rock'n'roll outfit david bowie ever played with, and it also featured the brilliant guitarist, reeves gabrels. tin machine's interview and performace on the arsenio hall show, alone, is hall-of-fame-worthy.

hunt and tony sales were also members of bob welch's post-fleetwood mac band, paris. they have, both individually and/or collectively, worked with, among others, todd rundgren, ray manzarek, and charlie sexton as well as with david bowie and iggy pop. addtionally, gabrels has participated in collaborations with (again, among others) bill nelson and frank black.

you want irrelevant, obscure oldies trivia? go fetch this: later this year, pat boone will be a presenter at the west virginia music hall of fame awards... now, that's a really big ol' "who cares?"

Last edited by gopher (January 28, 2020 2:31 am)

January 28, 2020 7:51 am  #4

Bruce, small correction to first post. Mike McGear is Paul's younger brother and they have a much younger step sister Ruth who was 4 when the Beatles exploded on the scene in '64. Jim McCartney remarried after Mary died.

January 28, 2020 2:19 pm  #5

I can relate, Bruce ... I've had the same thing happen to me. I've gotten so I will often doublecheck something that I feel I know, because of those occasions where I felt that I knew something but I was incorrect. But I feel that it's a bit of a fine line as to whether I should doublecheck these things or not, because normally my recollection is correct and it's not like I'm writing articles for publication or anything like that. Anyway, what you posted about McGear is an interesting piece of trivia, and something I didn't know until I heard Thank U Very Much played on an oldies show on CHUM. It reached #17 on the CHUM Chart, but I was only 7 at the time and didn't remember it at all. 

January 28, 2020 3:03 pm  #6

The name of the group was "Scaffold" and I think it was their only hit. (And speaking of trivia, it's actually "Thank U Very Much" on the label not "Thank You Very Much.")

It's not really that great a song, but I wonder how much being Paul McCartney's brother helped the sales and getting it played on the radio on this side of the pond. I think they may have had a few more hits in Britain. 

Last edited by aflem (January 28, 2020 3:11 pm)

January 28, 2020 3:11 pm  #7

January 28, 2020 3:17 pm  #8

Thank U Very Much was the only song by The Scaffold to chart on CHUM and also on Billboard, where it reached #69. But according to the info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scaffold#Overview, they had three top 10 records in the UK (Thank U Very Much, Lily The Pink, and Liverpool Lou). 

Board footera