The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2020 1:47 pm  #1

Is There A Disguised F-Bomb In Hey Jude? & Other Hidden Beatle Gems

I don't know if I buy everything in this article, but it's fun to contemplate. I do have to agree with one thing by the author - even though I never bought into the McCartney is dead thing, I, too, always heard "I buried Paul," at the end of Strawberry Fields, not "Cranberry Sauce" as has become the de facto explanation. 

9 Hidden Details In Beatles Tracks You Never Noticed 

February 18, 2020 2:00 pm  #2

Re: Is There A Disguised F-Bomb In Hey Jude? & Other Hidden Beatle Gems

Actually, I think what's really said at the end of that legendary song is a slowed down "Strawberry Fields," which makes much more sense. 

February 19, 2020 6:27 am  #3

That was very interesting, even though my naked ear couldn't hear a lot of the mistakes. Maybe when I have more time I'll listen with headphones.  As for "Strawberry Fields", I agree with the writer on the spookiness of the song when I was a kid.  It freaked me out, too...especially when I listened to it in the dark.  And yes, I hear "I buried Paul."

February 19, 2020 9:39 am  #4

Nice article and written well. My thoughts on a few points are, I'm So Tired "paul is dead miss him miss him". I saw a great vid a while back of a guy giving a talk on the brain and he used, I believe, Stairway To Heaven. He played it forwards and then asked people to tell him what it said when played backwards. No one knew. Then he told everyone what it was supposedly saying and replayed. Everyone heard it perfectly! Point is you must be looking for it and wanting to hear it. Please Please Me..botched lyric..OK happens a lot and that's rock n roll.On the extreme when the Beatles played Memphis at the first show Paul was singing All My Loving when a firecracker went off. It scared him so much he sung the same lyric twice. If you really want to hear John (and Paul) lose it listen to And Your Bird Can Sing from the Anthology CD. Strawberry Fields..."I Buried Paul"  I've never heard Cranberry Sauce and to me it's just John saying Strawberry Fields and it's being faded out. Never heard I Buried Paul either. Comments welcome.

February 20, 2020 1:18 am  #5

hey, robert! i believe the speaker you heard was essentially correct, there's certainly something to be said for the power of suggestion. though, i might point out that, initially, someone had to 'hear' the words without prompting before putting the idea in others' heads.

as for the paul is dead references, backmasked or otherwise, i'm inclined to believe that it's all there, perpetrated by the beatles. they surely seemed to be having fun with it, right up through the "abbey road" lp. what a brilliant way to not only amuse themselves in the studio,  but also increase record sales, not that theirs needed any help.

it seemed a pretty obvious hoax early on, to me. the clincher was when i first saw the film, "let it be."  i can't imagine any band would have given a relatively new fake guy so much latitude with their music.

Last edited by gopher (February 20, 2020 2:08 am)

February 20, 2020 8:52 am  #6

Hey Goph! The book The Walrus Was Paul is a good read if you want to know everything there is to know about the Paul Is Dead conspiracy. I need it reread it to confirm some facts that are fuzzy now but I was just found and little tidbit. John was asked about the "I buried Paul" lyric on I Am The Walrus and he replied "I just said Cranberry sauce" and didn't even noticed the interviewer had the wrong song! I seem to remember (I need to reread it) that at first they weren't interested in the rumor but later did add some silly clues. Of course about that time when every Beatle song was scrutinized for some mystical meaning John was creating all kinds of gibberish. He was quoted as saying, when he wrote I Am The Walrus, "Let the F*#%ers figure this one out." 

February 20, 2020 3:33 pm  #7

I had read somewhere that John also said of the "I buried Paul" line, that he indeed said that, meaning that his guitar playing buried Paul's.  

February 20, 2020 6:22 pm  #8

Hard to believe. Like John saying Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. He never said it.
Also considering that Paul played lead on a number of tunes that no one would know, like Taxman, I can't imagine John saying something that silly. A great video on YouTube is Mike Pachelli demonstrating the last part of The End where all 3 Beatles play a solo lead. You may want to scroll forward on this video until you see 4 guitars on the screen. He shows you what each Beatle played. Worth seeing.

Board footera