The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2020 10:14 pm  #1

Suddenly, I was singing a song I hadn't heard in years!!

I was doing dishes the other night when suddenly my mind began"Freight Train, going so fast...", the hit by Rusty Draper back in 1957 (#6 in Whitburn).  It occurred to me that I don't recall ever seeing his name on any postings here or on the old board over the years.  I did some research and this is what showed up.
He had 7 Top 20 hits in Cashbox (2 were shared with other recordings).  His two biggest were "Shifting, Whispering Sands" (Both his version and the Billy Vaughn take reached #5 in 1955.  Both were individual rankings, I prefer the Vaughn version, being a Ken Nordine fan!) and "Freight Train" (#6 in Billboard in 1957).  Worth mentioning was his C&W #6 hit, "Gambler's Guitar", that also landed at #11 in the Cashbox Pop Chart in 1953.  Whitburn also shows it as a "Gold Record".
His last charting release was his version of the Willie Nelson standard "Night Life".  I remember playing it when I was at KTEO in the fall of 1963.  I recognized his name right away, but couldn't recall why at the time.
I'd also like to mention another hit, from back in 1955 that is still a favorite of mine.  Wade Buff and the Dream Weavers #7 hit "It's Almost Tomorrow".  That's one of those slow dance songs that I hoped I could get one of the cute girls in class to dance with me when it was  played. 

February 19, 2020 3:26 am  #2

Re: Suddenly, I was singing a song I hadn't heard in years!!

I'm more familiar with the version by Nancy Whiskey and Chas MacDevitt ?  Likewise haven't heard that version in years.

February 19, 2020 5:58 am  #3

Hmmm...Rusty Draper...can this be our new Roy Drusky?

February 20, 2020 1:59 am  #4

I have a 45 of Freight Train by Margie Rayburn, I think...

Tom Diehl

Board footera