The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2020 4:35 pm  #1

The Singer Who Had 3 Big Hits In 3 Different Groups At The Same Time

I was aware of the story behind Tony Burrows' amazing accomplishment 50 years ago, but it's a wonderful tale if you haven't heard it. I'm not sure anyone will ever equal it. 

That time ‘one-hit wonders’ collided on the radio 50 years ago

February 22, 2020 9:06 am  #2

Re: The Singer Who Had 3 Big Hits In 3 Different Groups At The Same Time

I got a kick out of rate a record on Bandstand.  We've all made the joke that it's a good song and you can dance to it...well, the young lady stayed true to that.  

February 22, 2020 1:53 pm  #3

I also enjoyed the "rate-a-record" segment, having watched Bandstand after school back in '58 - '60.  While it isn't quite on the same level as Tony Burrows, I've always enjoy the two Eddie Heywood hits that were on the Hot 100 together for almost 6 months.
Eddie got label credit when he played the piano on Hugo Winterhalters summer smash "Canadian Sunset", It debuted on June 23, 1956, peaked at #2 and stayed for 31 weeks!
One week later, on June 30, Eddie's solo hit "Soft Summer Breeze" showed up.  It peaked at #11 and lasted for 25 weeks.
Both songs are personal favorites.  While these two were Eddie's only visits to the "Hot 100", he was active in the biz for over 40 years, and included working with Billie Holiday.  In 1954, he also spent 1 week at #30 with Hugo doing "Land Of Dreams", before the 100 chart sowed up.
On the other hand, Hugo showed up many times on the charts, starting in 1949.  He had 8 hits with his orchestra and got label credit backing up singing stars like Eddie Fisher, Fontane Sisters and Toni Arden.  "...Sunset" was his last hit.

February 23, 2020 1:56 am  #4

When I purchase an MP3 file from Amazon, they will sometimes email me asking me to review the song.  I usually reply, "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it".

February 23, 2020 6:35 pm  #5

aflem wrote:

I was aware of the story behind Tony Burrows' amazing accomplishment 50 years ago, but it's a wonderful tale if you haven't heard it. I'm not sure anyone will ever equal it. 

That time ‘one-hit wonders’ collided on the radio 50 years ago

what about ron dante?

February 23, 2020 7:03 pm  #6

Not sure if he had three around the same time, but he's definitely one of rock's rarities in fronting several bands at once (The Archies and The Cuff Links.) And it could be argued he surpasses Burrows, if only because of the immense success of Sugar Sugar. 

Last edited by aflem (February 23, 2020 7:05 pm)

Board footera