The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2020 9:55 pm  #1

Dave Clark Five Back On The UK Charts

Unfortunately, it's not new music, just a repackaging of some of their greatest hits. But it went flying up the charts in the U.K., peaking at #10. Not bad for a group that hasn't had a hit in more than half a century. They may have been second only to the Beatles in popularity but like the Fab Four, DC5's stuff stands the test of time.

Among the revelations from the linked article:

-The DC5 inspired Bruce Springsteen to want to form a band

-The DC5 were on the Ed Sullivan show a record 18 times and

-This one's mine, but I think the group may be the only one in chart history to score two different hits with songs of the same title. "Everybody Knows (I Still Love You)" was a smash in 1964, while "Everybody Knows" tickled the Top 40 in 1967. Both are terrific tunes and they couldn't be more different. 

My two favorite DC5 songs also couldn't be more different. "Can't You See That She's Mine" is simply an incredible rocker. And for a hard driving band that defined the word "stompin'" one of their best songs was a tender ballad called "Because." Both were from 1964.

Amazing that they're still around and still selling all these years later.

Dave Clark on 60 years of the DC5

February 22, 2020 9:59 pm  #2

Re: Dave Clark Five Back On The UK Charts

Also worth mentioning that, despite the group's name, drummer Dave Clark wasn't even the lead singer. That was the amazing Mike Smith, whose voice was one of the greats in Top 40 rock and roll. He died 12 years ago this month from pneumonia at just 64 years of age. 

February 23, 2020 9:03 am  #3

My favorite song of theirs is "You Got What It Takes".

February 23, 2020 11:01 am  #4

-The DC5 were on the Ed Sullivan show a record 18 times

Proven to be yet another lie put out by Dave Clark himself.  They were only on 13 times, not 18.  I wrote to the archive company (Andrew Solt Productions) several years back and they gave me the dates and song titles that the group did.  Even the person that responded to me said "Yes, we know what Dave Clark has been saying but it's always been a lie."
Clark also claims that they, too, were viewed by 70 million people on tv.  Ahhhhh, no.  That claim only goes to The Beatles (73 million viewers for their first Sullivan appearance).  ON AVERAGE, the Sullivan show had less than 15 million viewers each week.
He also says the group sold over 100 million records worldwide.  Another lie......it is closer to 50 million.
Don't get me wrong, I love the DC5 hits as much as anybody else, but I don't like Dave Clark, the person.  He has never written a song in his life.  He paid ghostwriters like Ron Ryan to write them and then claimed he, himself, wrote them.  He has also gone back on his word by NOT paying for some songs that sold quite well. I could go on and on about Dave's lies but I won't........the facts are out there on the 'net.  All you have to do is a little research and talk to the right people.

February 23, 2020 1:49 pm  #5

That's very disappointing to hear because the DC5 has always been one of my faves. Sad to know he's overstating the facts, especially when he doesn't have to. Their music speaks for itself.

As for who actually holds the record for appearances on the Sullivan Show, I believe it's actually Wayne & Shuster, a Canadian comedy duo who came on an incredible 67 times over the years. 

Johnny Wayne mentions the number at around the 6 minute mark in this short feature on the Sullivan show, which was produced for Canadian radio in 1981. 

Ed Sullivan: A Thousand Sundays

Last edited by aflem (February 23, 2020 1:51 pm)

February 26, 2020 11:03 am  #6

In a previous thread, I posted a page from an old 1963 Teen Magazine that my older sister collected. In one of them, from August 1964, this letter appeared. Seems only fair to finish off this thread with a dissenting word or two. Remember when this stuff mattered enough that you'd actually write and mail an honest-to-goodness real letter about it, not to mention form an official school club?

February 26, 2020 11:19 am  #7

The DC-5 was the first "invasion' band I saw in '64. Thinking back I think they were lip syncing at the '64 show I saw here.  I love a lot of their songs. They did covered many old songs but knew how to rock them up. Can't say anything bad about Mike Smith! 

March 19, 2020 8:27 pm  #8

The original post on this thread noted that the DC5 was putting out a classic hits album. What I didn't know back in February was that the record would contain a song that was never released. It's called "Universal Love" and in an interview in Goldmine, Dave Clark talks about why he never made it public until now. 

"The unreleased song on the new album, “Universal Love,” was something I would have liked to release in the ’60s but Lennon had “Imagine” and “Give Peace a Chance,” and The Beatles had “All You Need Is Love,” so if we had gotten on that angle of peace and love, people would have said we were copying them. So I didn’t release it. I didn’t want to look like I was cashing in."

I'm not entirely sure I believe it. The production definitely does not sound like the 60s when the group was hitting the charts and it has familiar echoes of a Jeff Lynne production - which would put it in the late 70s or 80s. It sounds a lot like the Beatles' "Real Love," one of the last songs they put out after John Lennon died. 

If anyone knows about the origin of this tune or when it was actually recorded, I'd appreciate hearing about it. 

Meanwhile, if you want to hear a previously unreleased Dave Clark 5 song, it's now on YouTube. Which I guess means it's no longer unreleased after all. It's not a "Glad All Over" stomper, but it's not terrible, either. See what you think.  

Last edited by aflem (March 19, 2020 8:31 pm)

March 19, 2020 9:04 pm  #9

I don't know anything about the song, but Clark's comments about it are certainly curious. Not only was Imagine not even close to being a '60s song, having been released in late 1971, but it also came out a year after the DC5 had broken up. 

March 20, 2020 12:33 pm  #10

aflem wrote:

The original post on this thread noted that the DC5 was putting out a classic hits album. What I didn't know back in February was that the record would contain a song that was never released. It's called "Universal Love" and in an interview in Goldmine, Dave Clark talks about why he never made it public until now. 

"The unreleased song on the new album, “Universal Love,” was something I would have liked to release in the ’60s but Lennon had “Imagine” and “Give Peace a Chance,” and The Beatles had “All You Need Is Love,” so if we had gotten on that angle of peace and love, people would have said we were copying them. So I didn’t release it. I didn’t want to look like I was cashing in."

I'm not entirely sure I believe it. The production definitely does not sound like the 60s when the group was hitting the charts and it has familiar echoes of a Jeff Lynne production - which would put it in the late 70s or 80s. It sounds a lot like the Beatles' "Real Love," one of the last songs they put out after John Lennon died. 

If anyone knows about the origin of this tune or when it was actually recorded, I'd appreciate hearing about it. 

Meanwhile, if you want to hear a previously unreleased Dave Clark 5 song, it's now on YouTube. Which I guess means it's no longer unreleased after all. It's not a "Glad All Over" stomper, but it's not terrible, either. See what you think.  

This has to be taken with a grain of salt as it's not a verified source, but here's what one person posted under the YouTube video for 'Universal Love', when someone mentioned that it didn't sound like the DC5.. Perhaps Dave is spinning another whopper."That's because its not the DC5, this is Mike probably recorded sometime in the  80''s. Mike's voice changed over the years and this is not his 1960's voice. I don't think Hans Poulsen even wrote this song until after the DC5 had disbanded. Just because it appeared on a DC5 hits package doesn't mean it's DC5. There's lots of other tracks which are just Mike, one in particular which appears as an unreleased DC5 track on i-tunes wasn't even written until 2001."  

Board footera