The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2020 10:13 am  #1

George Harrison's Final Hit Was A Remake From the 60s

George Harrison was the last Beatle to have a #1 hit. And in an era when fans had come to accept that all the Fab Four (well, with the exception of Ringo) basically wrote all their own tunes, it must have come as a surprise to learn that George's final chart topper, "Got My Mind Set On You," was actually written by somebody else - in the early 60's no less. 

This article tells the story behind that hit, how the Beatles thought about recording it in the 60s and how it came together (as opposed to "Come Together," which was an entirely different animal!) in the studio. 

How George Harrison made his last number 1 hit, "Got My Mind Set On You" 

By the way, if you're curious about the original, you can listen to it below and you can hear the seeds of Harrison's tune. But this thing has major orchestration and a very exaggerated choir-type chorus. Definitely a different feel.  

Last edited by aflem (February 25, 2020 10:14 am)

February 26, 2020 12:58 am  #2

Re: George Harrison's Final Hit Was A Remake From the 60s

Noted that James Ray recorded the song, and the orchestra and chorus were led by Hutch Davie.  Hutch was also known for his work with.....(hold your breath now)...the world famous Linda Scott.  I could not resist the opportunity to mention her again, it's been too long since we did!!!   J.S.

Board footera