The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2020 9:56 am  #1

Will We Ever Get To See This Eric Burdon Special?

I'm not sure how many of us will ever be able to see a one hour special running in Britain Friday night. But I hope someone on this side of the world decides to pick it up here eventually. It's called "Eric Burdon: Rock 'N Roll - Animal" and it features the lead singer of hits like "House of the Rising Sun" and "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place."

Burdon was one of the true bad boys of early 60s rock and not only talked the talk, but lived it, as well. He currently resides in the middle of nowhere in the U.S. and appears to like it that way. 

It airs on BBC4 in the UK at 9:30 PM (their time) and perhaps if you have a VPN, you can tune it in over the web. But so far, there's no word on whether anyone here will ever get to see it.

Here's the description from The Guardian newspaper.     

"Singer with the influential Newcastle beat band the Animals, Eric Burdon is credited with inspiring Bruce Springsteen’s Born to Run and an entire generation of class-conscious rock. Now living in the Nevada desert, Burdon recounts his tumultuous career from young heartthrob to discovering Jimi Hendrix and then being shunned by the industry owing to his drinking and temper, leaving him broke in the 70s. Featuring testimony from Sting and Steven Van Zandt."

Radio Times review

BBC4 website

Last edited by aflem (February 28, 2020 9:57 am)

February 28, 2020 8:47 pm  #2

Re: Will We Ever Get To See This Eric Burdon Special?

Burdon was one of the true bad boys of early 60s rock and not only talked the talk, but lived it, as well. He currently resides in the middle of nowhere in the U.S. and appears to like it that way. 

Hmm, if the middle of nowhere is in a mansion at Joshua Tree, I'd like it that way as well. Not sure if he's still there, but the young brunette that Eric is seen with on his Facebook page is sure to keep the home fires burning wherever he's at. I think his bad boy rep is still intact.
https://www.palmspringslife.com/rock-star-retreat/

March 1, 2020 7:53 am  #3

Burdon performed at the Kitchener (ON) blues festival two or three summers ago, and in an interview with the local press (the "Record") stated along the lines of:  in the 60s we had no money but we pulled together to survive and were successful; then we began to receive good money and the fighting started.    It never ended.   

G.

March 1, 2020 11:36 am  #4

That would be perfect for a pbs pledge drive... maybe someday.

Tom Diehl

Board footera