The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2019 8:43 pm  #61

Re: Oldies Acts Still Performing

Seems to me that "Former lead singer of the Crystals" would be a better way to go, and would still work well enough for promotional purposes. I wonder if Brooks has only started referring to herself as the original lead singer since Alston's passing ... that might make it less likely that her claim would be challenged, given that Kenniebrew didn't normally sing lead and therefore wouldn't be affected that much by this.

September 9, 2019 7:39 am  #62

You're right, Lorne, "former lead singer" would be a much better choice of words.

September 9, 2019 8:25 am  #63

This is a common practice for oldies group - get one original member, no matter how tenuous (and sometimes, not even that)  - and go on the road calling yourself by that name. I believe the all time worst for this was The Drifters. I think there are at least four different groups using the name and they still tour. 

The Drifters, when they were recording their hits, certainly lived up to their name. Groups members came and went endlessly over the years, leaving the door wide open for this kind of thing. An article from 2000 indicates how crazy it can get. 

“There are so many Drifters,” said one local promoter. “There’s the Original Drifters, the World Famous Drifters, and just the Drifters. Meanwhile, none of them have any original members.”

So Many Drifters 

Last edited by aflem (September 9, 2019 8:26 am)

September 9, 2019 6:22 pm  #64

The soap opera over The Drifters contains many configurations, claims and litigations regarding which groups are legitimate and which have the right to use the name.

The Facebook page of Bill Pinkney's Drifters, which featured the only original member of the Drifters until his death in 2007 (they still perform as Bill Pinkney's Drifters) posted that on May 1st of this year, there was a court ruling which named this group as the only one that could legally call itself THE DRIFTERS,  THE ORIGINAL DRIFTERS, or BILL PINKNEY'S ORIGINAL DRIFTERS. 

Charlie Thomas continues to tour regularly as Charlie Thomas' Drifters, and I'm sure there are other Drifters groups out there as well, but at least there has been some clarification regarding who can call themselves The Drifters or The Original Drifters.

September 13, 2019 9:25 am  #65

Ronnie Spector (and her current Ronettes) will be taking her annual Christmas show on the road again this year.  Scheduled U.S.A. dates are in Connecticut and Virginia, with the remainder of her shows taking place in Ireland and the U.K.

September 13, 2019 6:28 pm  #66

The Cowsills, Mickey Dolenz, and Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. are part of a companion album to the "Mister Rogers" movie.  Rita Wilson, Tom Hanks' wife, does a great job here as well - didn't know she was a singer.

https://thankyoumisterrogers.com/the-album-2/

September 28, 2019 1:33 pm  #67

Came across an ad for a cruise out of Los Angeles in February.  Among the performers listed on the cruise is a name that has not appeared in this thread:  Dick and Dee Dee.  Original member Dee Dee Sperling (now Phelps) has teamed up with Deke Detanna (of Deke and the Blazers) to occasionally perform as Dick and Dee Dee.
Original member Dick St John died in 2003. 

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (September 28, 2019 1:35 pm)

October 28, 2019 10:53 am  #68

REVIEW OF DOO WOP CONCERT

On Saturday, October 26th, I attended a doo wop concert at Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh.  In front of about 2200 fans, six acts delivered an amazing evening of vocal harmony, with a little pop music thrown into the mix.  Each of the first five acts did 4-5 songs in lead-up to the headliners, Kenny Vance and the Planotones, who were on stage for an hour.

The opening act was The Dubs.  Original member Cleveland Still (85 years old) continues to perform with the group.  Lead singer Leslie Anderson and the group hit all the right notes on "Could this be Magic",  "Chapel Bells", and "Please Don't ask me to be Lonely".

Next on stage was The Mystics.  Original members Phil Cracolici and George Galfo front the group and continue to replicate the doo wop sound beautifully.

The third act of the night was The Passions, featuring original members Jimmy Gallagher, Lou Rotondo and Albie Galione.  Gallagher's lead vocals are as sweet as ever (especially on "Gloria"), and in combination with the back up vocals, they provided vocal harmony at its best.

Next on stage was The Chantels.  The group includes 3 original members and Amy Ortiz (who has been singing lead for many years in replacement of Arlene Smith).  I can't believe how they sound just like the original recordings after all these years - amazing voices.  Original member Renee Minus-White took the lead on "The Plea" and did a great job on it.

After the intermission, Jimmy Clanton took the stage with his charming personality and delivered awesome versions of "Go Jimmy Go", "Just a Dream", and Venus in Blue Jeans".

Kenny Vance and The Planotones wrapped up the concert with a one-hour set.  This marked the highly anticipated return of Kenny Vance to Pittsburgh since his comeback after a five year hiatus due to health issues.  Kenny, along with Jimmy Bense, Ladd Vance (Kenny's son), and guitarist/vocalist Johnny Gale pay tribute to the best of doo wop and do it with a marvelous focus on pure harmony, while at the same time injecting humor and background stories into the show.  While Kenny now gets some help from Ladd on the highest  of the falsetto notes, his voice remains as warm and velvety as ever.  If you like doo wop and have the opportunity to see Kenny Vance and the Planotones live, be sure to do so - you will not be disappointed.

As you can probably tell, I consider this to be one of the best concerts I have ever attended.  The combination of tremendous vocal harmonies (there was not even one "meh" performance on the might) as well as a venue (the home of the Pittsburgh Symphony) that made the voices resonate beautifully throughout the hall, made for a wonderful evening.

November 3, 2019 7:34 pm  #69

Update on Peggy March, a name that has not yet been mentioned in this thread.

She has just returned from a 10 day tour in Germany.  Peggy will be performing on a cruise along with legendary artists Bowzer and Johnny Contardo from Sha Na Na, Gary Pucket, Freddy Cannon, Johnny Tillotson, Jay Siegel's Tokens, Dennis Tufano (former lead singer of the Buckinghams), La La Brooks (former member of the Crystals), The Capris, and Vito Picone and the Elegants.

Peggy will also be joining Brian Hyland for a two-night gig in Bangkok in December. 

November 16, 2019 2:33 pm  #70

Came across a concert listing for Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich, who continue to perform in the UK.  Original member Dave Dee died in 2009.  Current members are Dozy II, Beaky I (original member John Dymond), Mick II and Tich III.  While they never had a hit record in the USA, they did have two top tens in Canada and eight top tens in the UK.

January 4, 2020 2:31 pm  #71

There are so many oldies songs that were not very successful on the charts but were awesome tunes nevertheless. Thanks to Dale Patterson for reminding us of those songs at his Oh Wow The Songs Radio Forgot web site.  It was what made FM 108 such a great radio station in the 80's.

One of these songs was "All You Had To Do Was Tell Me"  by Chis Montez and Kathy Young.  The two got together at some point as they toured, and recorded that song as well as "It Takes Two".  Neither of these songs hit the charts, but both fit the definition of hidden gems.

Who would think that 55 years later we would get the opportunity see to Chris and Kathy perform the tune live on stage!  The link below is of Chris' full 38 minute set, so if you just want to see the duet, advance the video to the 10:00 minute mark.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1T9NKmKSSc&t=668s

January 5, 2020 11:34 pm  #72

GrimsbyFan wrote:

There are so many oldies songs that were not very successful on the charts but were awesome tunes nevertheless. Thanks to Dale Patterson for reminding us of those songs at his Oh Wow The Songs Radio Forgot web site.  It was what made FM 108 such a great radio station in the 80's.

One of these songs was "All You Had To Do Was Tell Me"  by Chis Montez and Kathy Young.  The two got together at some point as they toured, and recorded that song as well as "It Takes Two".  Neither of these songs hit the charts, but both fit the definition of hidden gems.

Who would think that 55 years later we would get the opportunity see to Chris and Kathy perform the tune live on stage!  The link below is of Chris' full 38 minute set, so if you just want to see the duet, advance the video to the 10:00 minute mark.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1T9NKmKSSc&t=668s

The station I DJ for four times a year, www.topshelfoldies.org, specifically strives to play the songs that didn't get played and weren't hits, but could and should have been. My next show will be Tuesday night, 8 to 11 pm eastern.

As for All You Had To Do Was Tell Me, it was Chris' song, his own solo release. Kathy was overdubbed onto it later. I think that was the same of You're The One. I got to see both of them a little over a year ago and they did AYHTDWTM. I had both sign my copy of the 45 as well, which I played on my show, from my 45, a few months prior to getting it signed.

Last edited by StereoTom (January 5, 2020 11:42 pm)

Tom Diehl

February 9, 2020 10:03 pm  #73

Concert Review:  Stars of the Sixties - Peabody Auditorium - Daytona Beach - February 8th

A great concert featuring a diverse group of pop and rock performers.

First act of the evening was Chris Montez.  He did an energetic set of 3 of his own songs along with 3 Ritchie Valens' songs. Chris always seems to be enjoying himself on stage and is very appreciative of the audience's response. Got the evening off to a great start.

Next on stage was The Vogues.  The only group of the evening without an original member, they replicated the sweet harmonies of the group's late 60's hits.  Disappointed that they didn't include "Magic Town" in their set.

Third group of the night was The Box Tops. Original members Gary Talley and Bill Cunningham took lead vocals on their hits and acknowledged the former members of the group who have passed (including original lead singer Alex Chilton) at the end of their set.  The audience responded enthusiastically to their performance.

Wrapping up the first half of the concert was Gary Lewis and the Playboys.  The group delivered all their hits and replicated the sound of the original records with an energetic and enjoyable set.  

The second half of the concert consisted of an hour-long performance by Peter Noone (of Herman's Hermits).  Peter has to be the hardest working performer on the oldies' circuit.  He never disappoints.  His combination of excellent vocals and humor puts him in a class by himself, as evidenced by the over 100 concerts he does every year.

The boisterous acknowledgement from the full house at the Peabody demonstrated that oldies music is still going strong.

February 10, 2020 6:13 am  #74

GrimsbyFan wrote:

Concert Review:  Stars of the Sixties - Peabody Auditorium - Daytona Beach - February 8th

A great concert featuring a diverse group of pop and rock performers.

First act of the evening was Chris Montez.  He did an energetic set of 3 of his own songs along with 3 Ritchie Valens' songs. Chris always seems to be enjoying himself on stage and is very appreciative of the audience's response. Got the evening off to a great start.

Next on stage was The Vogues.  The only group of the evening without an original member, they replicated the sweet harmonies of the group's late 60's hits.  Disappointed that they didn't include "Magic Town" in their set.

Third group of the night was The Box Tops. Original members Gary Talley and Bill Cunningham took lead vocals on their hits and acknowledged the former members of the group who have passed (including original lead singer Alex Chilton) at the end of their set.  The audience responded enthusiastically to their performance.

Wrapping up the first half of the concert was Gary Lewis and the Playboys.  The group delivered all their hits and replicated the sound of the original records with an energetic and enjoyable set.  

The second half of the concert consisted of an hour-long performance by Peter Noone (of Herman's Hermits).  Peter has to be the hardest working performer on the oldies' circuit.  He never disappoints.  His combination of excellent vocals and humor puts him in a class by himself, as evidenced by the over 100 concerts he does every year.

The boisterous acknowledgement from the full house at the Peabody demonstrated that oldies music is still going strong.

I'm curious...on Ron's board, Gary Lewis was knocked around a couple of times from posters that said he couldn't sing, that his records had a lot of help from the studio.  Is this true?  How did he sound?  

February 10, 2020 9:45 am  #75

I always thought that Gary's voice had a nasal quality to it, even on the records.  Not necessarily the best singer in the world, but great pop songs nevertheless.  Over the last 25 years or so I have seen Gary perform live several times, and I have not noticed any deterioration in his voice.  He and his back-up band present his hits in a "true to the original" style.  

February 24, 2020 10:13 am  #76

Thought I would put this response to Aflem's "Look Who's Performing Together" topic here.

After Chad Stuart retired in 2018, Peter and Jeremy began a series of intermittent tours, which they still continue today.  Their current mini-tour has several more dates remaining for the remainder of February and into mid-March.

In addition to touring together, they each perform individually.  Peter does a show called A Musical Memoir Of The 60's and Beyond"  and Jeremy just finished a mini tour in January called The Bottom Drawer Sessions.  Here is some background to what Jeremy does in his solo performances:“And then, at a party in the early 1980s given by the renowned jazz singer Annie Ross, I met an enormously tall Canadian fellow in a cowboy hat, David Pierce, known to all and sundry as Big Dave. I asked what he did. ‘I’m a lyricist,’ he said. He had been working with a fine ’70s band, Meal Ticket, which happened to include another old friend, one Rick Jones. Naturally, I went over to Big Dave’s place the next day and was duly amazed to be shown his bottom drawer, a vast and brilliant collection of unpublished lyrics.“Since then, in London, Los Angeles, and latterly, Paris, as the wind blew both of us in unexpected directions, we continued to write in that old-fashioned way: He writes the words, and I set them to music. We have been at it for so long now that we seem to speak a kind of shorthand.”At The Palms’ show, Clyde will front a quartet to perform songs from the “Bottom Drawer” releases as well as some Chad & Jeremy hits.

March 2, 2020 4:12 pm  #77

Brian Wilson and his band, together with Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin, will be touring Japan (2 dates in early May), Europe (late May and all of June), and the U.S. (2 dates in August) in the upcoming months. 

April 18, 2020 1:33 pm  #78

Here are a couple of "Oldies Acts Still Performing" but having to do so from their homes.

Tommy James
https://www.facebook.com/TJandtheShondells/videos/225840081960680/UzpfSTEzMzgyMzk4MzMzNTQ3ODozMTE0MDk3MTI4NjQxNDY3/

Brian Hyland
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=232641931309743

April 18, 2020 8:43 pm  #79

Neil Sedaka has been holding mini-concerts from his living room on Facebook every day.

May 4, 2020 12:22 pm  #80

With Frankie Valli turning 86 yesterday, I was wondering how many "oldies" performers (sticking with that criteria, so the likes of Tony Bennett doesn't apply) who are in their 85th year or older, are still performing (or have been until the advent of covid19) on a somewhat regular basis.

Here's my list so far:
Petula Clark  87
Lloyd Price  87
Frankie Valli  86
Johnny Mathis  84
Freddy Cannon  84
Cleveland Still - I'm pretty sure he's on this list, but can't find his exact age

Any additions to the list?

May 4, 2020 12:47 pm  #81

I like to take on the challenge of finding info that isn't that readily available, so I did some searching re Cleveland Still and found the following article ... as you said, he does qualify since he was 83 in January 2019.
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2018/03/doo_wop_music.html
And although Bennett started having hits before the oldies era, and his music isn't typically played on oldies stations that I've listened to, I'd still be fine with including him here. He charted quite a few times during the oldies era, and that includes his iconic I Left My Heart In San Francisco in 1962. 

May 4, 2020 12:54 pm  #82

Thought of one to add, thanks to him referring to himself as the "Last Man Standing" ... Jerry Lee Lewis, who is now 84. 

May 4, 2020 1:24 pm  #83

Jay Black, the former lead singer of Jay & The Americans, is still touring. He was supposed to play Philly last month, a concert that apparently never happened thanks to COVID concerns. He's 81. 

Black was apparently not in the black. The story is that he was forced to declare bankruptcy due to a gambling problem, and to satisfy the IRS, he sold the rights to using "Jay & The Americans." He now tours only as "Jay Black The Voice." But despite his age and his personal setbacks, he hasn't lost anything..I'm told he can still reach all the notes, especially that final one on the great "Cara Mia."    

May 4, 2020 1:41 pm  #84

Jay Black no longer performs.  He has been in an assisted care facility for a couple of years.

May 4, 2020 1:45 pm  #85

Lorne, good digging to find Cleveland Still's age.  I knew I had read or heard it somewhere, but you're info confirms he belongs on the list.

May 4, 2020 2:08 pm  #86

Did not know that. He's listed as having some dates for 2020 on various concert websites. Perhaps they were made in advance and never corrected? I'm sorry to hear of his troubles. He's one of the best voices from the past in Top 40. A shame if age and illness has silenced The Voice. (I still think Cara Mia is one of the greatest performances on any 45.)

May 12, 2020 7:10 am  #87

Last Saturday, one of the promoters of oldies concerts (Rob  and Laura Albanese) put together a "virtual concert".  It was a combination of at-home performances and footage from recent live concerts. Below is the description of the "concert", followed by the Youtube link.
Laura & I want to thank all the First Responders, Nurses, Doctors, Truck Drivers, Cashiers, Mail Carriers and all those who have responded and have put their lives on the line day after day to help keep us safe.

You are our true heroes.

LAR Enterprises wanted to honor these heroes. We asked tonight’s performers if they would donate their time to recreate some of their songs and WOW did they respond in a big way.

Starring

Kenny Vance & The Planotones, Brian Hyland, Chris Montez, Bob Miranda, Larry Chance & The Earls (In never before seen video), Leslie Anderson, The Current lead Singer of the Dubs, Classic Sounds, Norman Fox and Mike D’Amore, The Current lead Singer of the Capris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-eHCUCkhEs

May 12, 2020 9:41 pm  #88

I would question quite a few of those.

July 6, 2021 11:49 am  #89

Following up on Lorne's recent post about acts being featured during the recent 4th of July celebrations, I got to wondering how many of the oldies performers would actually being returning to live shows after more than a year and a half of not being able to do so.  Turns out that there are many that are right back at it, even though most in this list are in their 70s and 80s.  I have not differentiated between those acts that do solo concerts versus those that appear on multi-act shows - only that all of the following are scheduled to appear in shows/concerts over the next several months in the U.S.

Frankie Valli
Peter Noone
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
Lou Christie
Dennis Tufano
The Cyrkle 
La La Brooks
The Skyliners
The Elegants 
The Happenings
The Miracles
The Capitols