The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2020 1:52 pm  #1

The Hollies

I was reading the bit about the Elton John doc on the UCR site when I saw the item about The Hollies', or maybe it should be The Follies', upcoming tour. I know there's been negative discussion about some of the bands that tour with few or no original members, and now you can add these guys to the list. How on earth can a band go out under that name without either original lead singer Allen Clarke or Graham Nash? I guess one of the current members owns the name but what a joke. 

BTW, that Elton John doc sounds pretty good. I read his autobiography 'Me', which wasn't bad, but I found his constant crying annoying and there was way more info on his sex life than I ever needed to know.  Can't knock his musicianship, however; he has always been one of my favourites.

Last edited by Roman (March 3, 2020 1:52 pm)

March 3, 2020 2:21 pm  #2

Re: The Hollies

This was a 2017 special from Britain called "Elton John: The Nation's Favorite Song." It was based on a U.K.-wide survey designed to pick the public's all time favorite EJ tune, and was a sort of a mini-countdown with lots of interviews with both the artist and his collaborators about the origins of the songs. A very interesting 90 minutes! 

I'm not sure when they plan to show it again, but keep your eye on listings for the Reelz Channel if you receive it, and it's bound to turn up at some point. 

Elton John: The Nation's Favorite Song

March 3, 2020 10:15 pm  #3

Roman wrote:

I was reading the bit about the Elton John doc on the UCR site when I saw the item about The Hollies', or maybe it should be The Follies', upcoming tour. I know there's been negative discussion about some of the bands that tour with few or no original members, and now you can add these guys to the list. How on earth can a band go out under that name without either original lead singer Allen Clarke or Graham Nash? I guess one of the current members owns the name but what a joke. 

Here's what they have at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Hollies_members about their current lineup.
"The band has since been through numerous lineup changes, and currently includes lead guitarist and vocalist Tony Hicks, drummer Bobby Elliott (both since 1963), bassist and vocalist Ray Stiles (from 1986 to 1990, and since 1991), keyboardist Ian Parker (since 1991), lead vocalist and guitarist Peter Howarth, and guitarist and vocalist Steve Lauri (both since 2004)."

March 4, 2020 8:14 am  #4

Lorne wrote:

Roman wrote:

Here's what they have at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Hollies_members about their current lineup.
"The band has since been through numerous lineup changes, and currently includes lead guitarist and vocalist Tony Hicks, drummer Bobby Elliott (both since 1963), bassist and vocalist Ray Stiles (from 1986 to 1990, and since 1991), keyboardist Ian Parker (since 1991), lead vocalist and guitarist Peter Howarth, and guitarist and vocalist Steve Lauri (both since 2004)."

I guess they have some tenure, but it's pretty difficult to go out as the Hollies without the two guys that sang all of their hits. It would be akin to Stu Cook and Doug Clifford trying to go out as CCR.

March 4, 2020 11:49 am  #5

The Drifters were famous for having some 400,000 different incarnations of the group on tour at the same time - even if a few of them were the first cousin's mother-in-law's next door neighbor's dog walker's best friend, who once knew someone who dated an original Drifter's distant relation. It just gets that stupid sometimes.  

On the other hand, one group that IS getting back together with almost all the original members (minus Peter Gabriel) is Genesis. Phil Collins will be part of it - but not on drums, which he can't play anymore. His son will be handling the sticks, instead.

Genesis reunite for first tour in 13 years

March 4, 2020 4:47 pm  #6

Speaking of reunions, The Zombies are back. The Walking Dead, including founder Rod Argent and singer Colin Blunstone, will be on a limited tour this spring. Must be that Time of the Season!

The Zombies Announce New Album, Map Spring Tour  

Board footera