The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2020 8:14 pm  #1

John Sebastian On The Lovin' Spoonful Reunion That's Not A Reunion

The Lovin' Spoonful is coming back for an autism charity event in Los Angeles on the weekend. It's for a good cause, but as the band's former lead singer and writer notes, it's definitely not a prelude for a full fledged reunion. Noting that's not possible without the late Zal Yanovsky, John Sebastian talks about the group that sounded like no other and how Paul McCartney admitted the Beatles based "Drive My Car" on Sebastian's "Daydream."

As for what's on the set list? Sebastian says they'll literally be playing almost everything, including one of his solo hits, "Welcome Back." I only wish I were in L.A. so I could hear this. But it's a complete sell-out, so getting tickets would be impossible. 

"How long a list would you like?" he asks "It’s a 30-song list — let me just try it out on you, okay? “Fishin’ Blues.” “Warm Baby.” “You Baby.” “Welcome Back.” “Butchie’s Tune.” “Jug Band Music.” “Lovin’ You.” “Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind?” “Summer in the City.” “Full Measure.” “Coconut Grove.” “Money.” “How Have You Been My Darling Children.” “Younger Generation.” “Didn’t Wanna Have to Do It. “Younger Girl.” “Other Side of This Life.” “Night Owl Blues.” “Stories We Could Tell.” “4 Eyes.” “Blues in the Bottle.” “She is Still a Mystery.” “Six O’Clock.” “Lonely.” “Darling Be Home Soon.” “Daydream. “Rain on the Roof.” “Nashville Cats.” “Never Going Back.” “Darlin’ Companion.” “You’re a Big Boy Now.” “Pow!” “There She Is.” “It’s Not Time Now.” “You Didn’t Have to Be So Nice.” “Do You Believe in Magic.” [Laughs.] All of us are gobsmacked, as they say across the pond. 

John Sebastian Looks Back as Lovin’ Spoonful Semi-Reforms: ‘We Weren’t Matinee Idols’ 

March 4, 2020 1:33 pm  #2

Re: John Sebastian On The Lovin' Spoonful Reunion That's Not A Reunion

Normally, this thread would have ended with the first post, but the review that's been posted for this reunion show is incredible - and it's nearly as long as the four hour (!) event itself. Not only that, but there's a lot of video that came out of it and posted online, a few of which you can see below. In fact,the show was so long, overtime kicked in for the crew at the venue where the concert was held.

Also on the bill - Micky Dolenz of the Monkees. A pretty incredible night and likely never to be repeated. 

Lovin’ Spoonful Daydreams Come True as John Sebastian Goes All-In for Tribute Show   

March 4, 2020 3:51 pm  #3

"Do You Believe In Magic" is one of the best songs ever.  It was ahead of its time then, yet it holds up more than well today.

March 4, 2020 4:52 pm  #4

Funny you should say that. A long time ago, I was watching a special on 60s music (it might have been on PBS) and they interviewed John Sebastian. He said something like, "We didn't expect these songs would last 5 minutes, let alone 50 years!" He seemed genuinely bewildered that people not only remembered them but wanted to hear them again. 

For some reason, I've never forgotten that statement, especially given how timeless those Spoonful tunes are.  

March 5, 2020 7:36 pm  #5

Someone posted this on Facebook a couple days ago.  I enjoyed it.

Last edited by Flo (March 5, 2020 7:38 pm)

Board footera