The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2020 5:08 pm  #1

First U.S. Beatles 45 Misspelled Their Name On The Label

Seems impossible to believe, but it's true - when Vee Jay Records released the first single by the Fab Four in 1963, they put out "Please Please Me" by "The Beattles." Apparently, nobody noticed. It was about a year before Capitol Records finally decided to put out their own discs with the group and no one would ever get the name wrong again.

The Beatles US Invasion Begins With ‘Please Please Me’  

Last edited by aflem (March 4, 2020 5:10 pm)

March 4, 2020 6:46 pm  #2

Re: First U.S. Beatles 45 Misspelled Their Name On The Label

It really was fun being a radio DJ during the 1964 Beatles invasion.  I had heard about the Beatles in 1963, I had a buddy who had spent  a couple of years in Scotland in the USAF and he raved about them as soon as he found out I was a radio guy.  The "From Me To You" 45 showed up on our playlist at KTEO in the summer of '63 and I played once or twice, but no excitement from the listeners.  I'll always believe that the reason the Swan label got "She Loves You" was because they were based in Philly and that was the home of "American Bandstand" and Dick Clark.  The father of a friend of mine was a VP at Capitol records and I've heard some fun stories from him about the Fab 4 back then.

March 4, 2020 6:56 pm  #3

Re: First U.S. Beatles 45 Misspelled Their Name On The Label

Love to hear those stories!

By the way, I checked several sites and was very surprised to see that misspelled 45 is selling for just under $800 U.S. I honestly thought something that rare would have gone for a lot more. 

Board footera