The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2019 1:00 pm  #1

Recent music deaths

I know Ron said one of the things that he was tired of was writing obituaries.  But unfortunately..........

The Dead Rock Stars board isn't kept up any more, but quite a few people go there and post new info in the Guest Book.  Looking at it this morning, I came across three from this month I was unaware of, two of them pretty shocking.  (Just that I hadn't heard about them)
Session guitar great Reggie Young - 1-17-19
Bonnie Guitar - 1-13-19  I had just been thinking about a couple of her songs in the last few days.  She had such a lovely, gentle voice.  She was 95.
Backup vocalist Clydie King 1-7-19
And, of course, how could I forget about Maxine Brown?  But I already knew about that, didn't just find it out this morning.  Jim Ed and Bonnie's sister, not the R&B lady.  She had a very strong Facebook presence, and was friendly and outgoing to everyone.  She was 87.  Her book, Looking Back to See, is very informative.

Last edited by Flo (January 27, 2019 1:06 pm)

January 28, 2019 5:59 pm  #2

Re: Recent music deaths

Thanks, Flo. I wouldn't have been aware of these passings if it wasn't for your post. And with us no longer having obituaries readily available to us via Ron's news page, they're definitely worth noting here. Looked up Clydie King to refresh my memory as to where I had seen her name ... she had quite the career. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clydie_King

January 29, 2019 3:12 pm  #3

Lorne wrote:

Thanks, Flo. I wouldn't have been aware of these passings if it wasn't for your post. And with us no longer having obituaries readily available to us via Ron's news page, they're definitely worth noting here. Looked up Clydie King to refresh my memory as to where I had seen her name ... she had quite the career. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clydie_King

I quickly looked at her discography and the name Crabby Appleton popped out at me. For some reason I remember their song Go Back, but for the life of me I can't remember how it went. My up and close with Clydie was on Merton Street in the late 70's or early 80's at a long-gone club called Shortt's. Joe Cocker was scheduled to be in for a week (but only made it through two nights) and Clydie was one of his back-up vocalists. The show and Clydie were outstanding. 

January 29, 2019 3:28 pm  #4

That's a nice memory that you have re Clydie. The name Crabby Appleton jumped out at me as well. My sister had Go Back on a 45, although I think I might have remembered it anyway ... it reached #8 on CHUM (but only #36 on Billboard). 

January 30, 2019 9:20 am  #5

I agree that even though it may be sad news, it is still informative to those of us who are interested in the performers of the 50s, 60s, and early 70s.  I would appreciate having that information passed along on this board.

January 30, 2019 9:53 am  #6

I'm also ok with occasional postings about more recent artists, especially because sometimes there can be a connection with the oldies era. And that's the case with the passing of James Ingram ... the following article mentions that he played keyboards for Ray Charles early in his career. 
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/entertainment/james-ingram-dead/index.html?no-st=1548859541

February 1, 2019 3:15 am  #7

I think you guys are all right.  As far as I know there aren't any restrictions - just check with Lorne to be sure - but for real information we have to be open to a lot of things.  And connections are important - in the music world, so many people are connected in ways we would never have known.  I was very disappointed that no one on the original board cared at all about Charles Neville's death.  As a member of the Neville Brothers, brother to Aaron and Art, (the Meters) father of Charmaine, and as I traced it back, one time member of Joey Dee and the Starliters, he was very important.  He was not of another generation, he was one of ours. So we must always be open to this information. And I'm trying to be too, because I have a lot of attitudes, but trying to lose them in the service of what we all need.

Here's a really funny story in that vein.  When I was booking Johnny D's I came in contact with MANY, and we don't know what happeed to them.  There was a band from the West Coast called Lowen and Navaro, nobody seemed to be very interested in them, but I think we did eventually book them, but probably no one came to see them. 

And the next time the Austin Lounge Lizards came to visit us, they made a comment to me in a casual conversation - "well, we don't care what Lowen and Navaro say" we like you."  But this proves my point about music.  Who in the world would ever  have connected the Austin Lounge Lizards and Lowen and Navarro???  Two different worlds.  But as I say, everyone in the music world is connected in some way, believe it or not.

Here's another one.  I think it was when we booked Maynard Ferguson's Big Bop Nouveau at the time.  One of his roadies or whatever they prefer to be called now, struck me as odd.  And he reminded me of a guy who worked for Delbert McClinton.  I mentioned something about that to him, and he said, "oh, please, don't ever say that."  So no matter who you are, and wherever you play, once you get on that circuit you're all connected, whether you want to be or not.

Oh, and everyone, this board is very pale and difficult to deal with, please just bold your posts.

Last edited by Flo (February 1, 2019 4:21 am)

February 1, 2019 3:26 am  #8

One of the great guitar artists of all time, Harold Bradley, passed away this past January 31 at the age of 93.  While primarily a Country Music performer, he did play on pop hits by such stars as Roy Orbison, Everly Brothers, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Johnny Horton, Brenda :Lee, Tammy Wynette, Jeannie C. Riley and Eddy Arnold.  Some say that he was the most recorded guitar player ever and there is no telling how many C&W hits he played on.  R.I.P. Harold Bradley

February 1, 2019 3:39 am  #9

Hadn't heard this yet, but it's just another example of the cross polinization that brought all our music together.  And why I always consider it all one thing - the top 40, country, R&B, it really was one.  And what still makes up my musical love after all these years. 

February 2, 2019 10:19 pm  #10

I remember always telling Kate when an oldies artist passed away. I was kind of the grim reaper of oldies to her. I've more or less stopped doing that, though I still get my info from many of the same sources. Too bad the dead rock stars club has gone silent. The older I get, the closer to home it hits. I lost my dad 3 years ago, and several online friends in the past several years, but last year was particularly rough.

Tom Diehl

Board footera