The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2020 9:17 pm  #1

A&E Biography to Spotlight Kenny Rogers, From Rocker To Country

The two hour special airs April 13th on A&E. (You can see a preview below.)

Everyone remembers Rogers from his country hits like The Gambler and Lucille. But I hope this show also spotlights his time with The First Edition, where he scored equally great tunes that are rarely played anymore - songs like Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town, Reuben James, the psychedelic I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In), Tell It All Brother, Something's Burning and more. 

I don't know how many remember that before he was a country crooner, Rogers and his band hosted a TV variety show called "Rollin' On The River" out of CTV in Toronto.

A previous history of the group, when it was still a rock act, was produced in 1972.

March 5, 2020 6:58 am  #2

Re: A&E Biography to Spotlight Kenny Rogers, From Rocker To Country

personally speaking, i sure wish you'd stop spamming the board with old, irrelevant, or otherwise easily available elsewhere reports, and give the rest of us some space ln a day's time. i apologise if this request does not adhere to lorne's policy, if any, in such regard.

Last edited by gopher (March 5, 2020 7:02 am)

March 5, 2020 8:29 am  #3

Over the past year, I have felt that it would be good if the board had at least one new post every day or so. On the former board, I had felt that the fact that it was sometimes going for a day or more without new topics or even any new posts at all, had made it much less interesting for me to visit than it had been in the past.
As a result, I have often posted articles that I felt were of some relevance here, even if only to a small number of people. For instance, I know that sometimes they have mainly been relevant to others in the Toronto area, and I've hoped that others wouldn't mind this.
But conversely, I have generally not posted articles more than once a day, with occasional exceptions if I thought items were particularly newsworthy or time-sensitive. And also, if I see that there are other posts here, I'm less likely to post articles since my main concern is that we have some regular activity.
So I don't want to try to limit what people post, but I would suggest that others might want to consider the same approach ... I'd like to find a middle ground on this that's reasonably acceptable to everyone. 

March 6, 2020 6:30 am  #4

Aflem posts many things that are discussion-inducing.  I've already told him I enjoy the comics he puts on. Perhaps someone should start an avant-garde oldies board so those who don't like this content can post in their own cool, underground place.  If you do, let me know so I never click on it by mistake.

March 6, 2020 7:30 am  #5

"TOLERATION:   the allowing, permitting, or acceptance of an action, idea, object or person which one dislikes or disagrees with"  

Definition courtesy the highly-regarded Wikipedia dictionary

G.

March 6, 2020 2:25 pm  #6

Karen may have an alternative solution to the "issue" identified by gopher.  HOWEVER, personally, I thoroughly appreciate the info that aflem and several others post.  I guess, if there is a preponderance of "spamming" (in my mind, a relatively subjective sensitivity to information), a person may become more aware of the offensive preponderance of the spamming and refrain from clicking on that person's messages - basically, ignore the person's messages.  I personally, take this site as a clearing house for music data/info.  Again, as Karen referenced, the comics are included in a single, readily identifiable topic.

Board footera