The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2020 10:51 pm  #1

Royalties

I took a quick look at Phil Phillips discography.  Although he had a few recordings, it seems he really had only the one big hit record. "Sea of Love".

I wonder how much income Phil would have realized from writing and recording that hit? Would those of you who are familiar with the inner workings of the music recording industry care to guestimate? Obviously Phil would have parlayed the popularity of Sea Of Love into personal appearances and shows, but I'm wondering about income from the record itself.  Would those royalties have been enough to provide a living. 

Anybody?  Just curious.

March 24, 2020 11:04 pm  #2

Re: Royalties

According to Wikipedia, he only received $6800 originally, and nothing further after that. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Phillips

Last edited by Lorne (March 24, 2020 11:04 pm)

March 25, 2020 6:40 am  #3

I don't understand how $6800 is all he made for a song he wrote.

March 25, 2020 8:42 am  #4

When I looked up the sheet music for Sea Of Love I noticed that all the rights for the song were administered by the Peer International Group, and the copyright is listed as 1957, 1959 Fort Knox Music Co. I'm assuming Phil sold his rights to the song so Fort Knox got the gold and Phil got the shaft. Not that hard to imagine as around the same time Willie Nelson sold the rights to a couple of his classics for under $100 each just to put food on his table. My favorite version of Sea Of Love is by The Honeydrippers.

March 25, 2020 9:08 am  #5

Yes, I think that sort of thing was very common back then. Here's some more info about the song that might be of interest.
https://www.songfacts.com/facts/phil-phillips-with-the-twilights/sea-of-love

March 25, 2020 12:13 pm  #6

I'm sure Phil did not get all the royalties that were due him from "Sea Of Love", but it should be noted that $6800 back then was about a years pay for a lot of the working folks and probably helped him a lot.
The story I heard about Willie Nelson and his poverty days was told to me by Faron Young.  Willie had 3 solid chart hits in 1961 ("Crazy" - Patsy, "Hello Walls" - Faron and "Funny How Time Slips Away" - Jimmy Elledge (pop) and Billy Walker {C&W}) but the money hadn't come in yet.  He bumped into Faron one night at Tootsie's Lounge and told him he needed money and he'd sell Faron the publishing to "Hello Walls" for $500.  Faron proceeded to chew him out, saying that song would earn him a bunch more than that, you (fill in the blanks).  "$500, Hell, here!".  He reached in his pocket and pulled out the $500 and said "pay me back when you can".  About 6 weeks later, Faron was at Tootsie's again when Willie came running in the door, ran up to Faron, kissed him full on the mouth and gave him $600.  His first royalties check had been over $20K in 1962 dollars.

March 25, 2020 6:37 pm  #7

. My favorite version of Sea Of Love is by The Honeydrippers.

I agree.  What a great version.  I read somewhere that Robert Plant did the song as a gag,..Bermuda shorts and Frank Zappa look-alike in a Speedo and all.

March 26, 2020 3:58 pm  #8

It's me Karen wrote:

. My favorite version of Sea Of Love is by The Honeydrippers.

I agree.  What a great version.  I read somewhere that Robert Plant did the song as a gag,..Bermuda shorts and Frank Zappa look-alike in a Speedo and all.

The video for the song confirms what you're saying, including the Bermuda shorts and Speedo. And Plant does like he's doing it as a bit of a lark. Gotta love it.

March 26, 2020 4:21 pm  #9

According to the info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honeydrippers:_Volume_One, Plant never wanted the song to become a hit. That may explain the approach that he took with the video. 

Board footera