The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2020 10:28 pm  #1

Revising the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, class by class

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Imagine if you could do the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame all over again from scratch. Now might be the perfect time with a pandemic in full swing, the Rock Hall museum closed until further notice and the 2020 Induction Ceremony moved from May to November.
https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/03/reorganizing-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-class-by-class.html

March 31, 2020 7:46 pm  #2

Re: Revising the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, class by class

I can't believe I really read all of that!  Just so crazy.  Just think of this - they would remove Dr. John but would add Lee Dorsey.  Dr. John was "too specialized" but he was a legend across many platforms. Lee Dorsey had a handful of hit songs and nothing more.  No influence, just a few cool hits.  Oh, and guess who was involved - Allen Toussaint, the writer, and The Meters as session musicians. I simply cannot understand the passing over of the Meters.  I've heard it said they were New Orleans' Booker T & the MGs, so why aren't they in there? 
I was unaware that there is a cutoff date after which artists are no longer eligible.  That's just wrong.  But it explains a lot,.
Almost all the people they would remove are the  only ones I like.

I totally agree with the addition of Link Wray and Dick Dale.  But at the same time removing the Ventures? The most successful instrumental band of the era.

I have to wonder of the age of the person who wrote this.  A lot of the assumptions about rock and roll come from younger people, who didn't live through it.

March 31, 2020 8:41 pm  #3

I think the cutoff of 10 years was something that the writer came up with, and I didn't feel that this was right either. I'm guessing that he came up with that, along with the idea of a Legends Committee, from how things are done with the Baseball Hall of Fame (players are listed on their ballot for a maximum of 10 years, but then can still be considered for induction by their Veterans Committee). But I think that there is truth in your comment about his age, and how that may have influenced how he came at this. I found his LinkedIn profile, and it shows that he graduated from university in 2006 -- so he'd likely be in his mid- to late-30s. Anyway, I just found it interesting to go through the article to see who has and hasn't been inducted over the years, even though I didn't agree with a lot of the choices that he made either. 

April 1, 2020 6:32 am  #4

I didn't agree with a few things he came up with.  This article is a good example of why we all debate about the hall of fame and its inductees.  Every year.  The whole thing is opinion and taste.  No one will ever be satisfied.

April 1, 2020 10:57 am  #5

I've actually thought that it might have been better if they had never inducted anyone in the first place, mainly because this is so subjective. That has become more and more apparent over the years, especially when they have inducted artists that had become eligible long ago but who hadn't even been considered for many years. Although there is a subjective element in any hall of fame induction process, with sports there are more objective criteria that can be used with respect to players' statistical records and I think that makes a big difference.

Board footera